20th Century Defences In Britain-2nd Edition

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chizyramone

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
An Introductory Guide

Edited by Bernard Lowry and published by the Council for British Archaeology.

First edition appeared in 1995 followed by a second in 1996 and then reprints in 98,99,01 and 02.

Much of the information updated during Defence of Britain proj.

Referred to as a bit of a 'bible' when it come to 20th Century defences.

On the back cover, one of the lines says:

"This illustrated practical handbook provides an introductory guide to the recognition and interpretation of Britain's wartime archeology"

That line has a couple of long,important sounding words that dead clever people use,so it must be good :lol:

Anyway it arrived today and I'm struggling to put the fecker down ;)

Got it from Central Books in that London for £9.50 + £1.90 p+p. Hyper Value Value!

Bear in mind,coz this was reprinted in 02,some sites may be no longer there due to redevelopment of land,coastal erosion etc

ISBN 1 872414 74 5

If it has a reference to a 2 story brick built pillbox near Peterhead, you can scribble through it with a felt tip pen.

Is it bollocks a pillbox. :D

Just ordered it from Amazon for £6-94. :mrgreen: That was the last new copy, but they're getting more in shortly which can be pre-ordered.
Cheers for the heads up, Chizzy. :)

If anybody comes across World War One and Two Defences of Grampian. A survey by John Guy Volumes 1 & 2, give me a nudge, would you?

Seahorse-
Try contacting your local council archaeologist and see if they have a copy. That's where I got a loan of the two DoB volumes on Scotland to photocopy. :)

Amazon were selling for around 9:50 and were sold out we got ours for less from one of the recommended suppliers for less ;)

Amazon were selling for around 9:50 and were sold out we got ours for less from one of the recommended suppliers for less ;)

The Book Depository?:)
Should be here tommorrow, hopefully, till then British anti invasion defences 1940-45 literally just turned up.:)

Latest posts

Back