A nice little ol' coal shaft

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right,

As it turns out the set of maps that my father's been looking at are the really old ones and not the newly plotted ones the CA are using. You can apparently request these CA maps but they come at a cost by all accounts. As for the vintage maps I think they're working on procuring a large format scanner to get them digitised with. I will let you all know how they get on and if I can get some digital copies I will.

The drift in ashington is under the following roundabout :mrgreen:

http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=55.184394&lon=-1.586405&z=18.5&r=0&src=msl

That's where Sausage said it would be. Assume the drift will now be flooded, and was that the same one that was connected to Bothal Barn's Drift?

My uncle has original maps for the collieries and drifts (showing the approx. direction and length of the shafts) in the Tow Law area. He campaigned (unsucsessfully) to stop the burials of the foot and mouth animals on Tow Law fell as they are buried on top of an old shaft (I think it was Black Prince Colliery but I'm not 100%) and he was concerned that the water source that runs through the old workings might become contaminated and seep into the water table thus contaminating the steam and eventually the river wear. They are his prize possetion and won't let anyone near them. They were passed down from generation to generation as my Dad's side of the family have worked in the collieries in the area for the last few hundred years. My Uncle was the last one and he worked on the opencast sites.

Latest posts

Back