Abandoned Soviet/Russian industrial mining town in the Arctic Circle.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Came across this eerie ex-soviet mining town in the Archipelago of Svalbard, which is actually owned by Norway.
It was the northernmost permanent settlement on the earth and the history of it is fascinating. It was meant to be a showcase of the best of the Soviet Union for the whole world to see.
It was abandoned and as it is located in an Arctic Desert 1000km from the arctic circle it has been amazingly preserved! Think you could have enjoyed living and mining here?

Full documentary of it is here -

Good on you for making the video sorry but we like to see photos not videos to promote YouTube.
Post some stills to go along with it and make us happy

Some pictures of the trip. Will dig some more out!

Attachments

• DSC08819.jpg
    DSC08819.jpg
    896.9 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC08835-2.jpg
    DSC08835-2.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • DSC08835.jpg
    DSC08835.jpg
    999.8 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC08843.jpg
    DSC08843.jpg
    805.4 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC08849-2.jpg
    DSC08849-2.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 0
  • DSC08858.jpg
    DSC08858.jpg
    789.9 KB · Views: 0
Came across this eerie ex-soviet mining town in the Archipelago of Svalbard, which is actually owned by Norway.
It was the northernmost permanent settlement on the earth and the history of it is fascinating. It was meant to be a showcase of the best of the Soviet Union for the whole world to see.
It was abandoned and as it is located in an Arctic Desert 1000km from the arctic circle it has been amazingly preserved! Think you could have enjoyed living and mining here?
ope
Full documentary of it is here -

Many thanks for putting the video here. Let's hope Putin hasn't got his sights on Svalbard in his desire to re-establish the USSR.

A fascinating place which I'd love to see. I have heard that you need to be accompanied by a tourguide/ chaperone with a rifle, just in case polar bears get a bit too close?

Awesome pics. Extremely interesting place. You're practically on a journey to the ends of the Earth. How long was your trip?

wasn't this remote place featured in an episode of the TV series 'Abandoned Engineering' ?
I really enjoy this programme, it got me started on the whole 'derelict' idea.

I normally shy away from you tube but Vid is actually really good.
Im intrigued to see the next one with the wildlife too

Latest posts

Back