Bamburgh ROC Post, Northumberland Group, May 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zimbob

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I've been far too inactive exploring-wise lately, climbing up mountains, sliding down mountains, blowing things out of the sky, and other wintry pursuits have been taking up too much of my time :rolleyes:

So when I spotted a familiar silhouette on a hill whilst South of the border, I had to take a look :)

Closed in 1991, Bamburgh ROC Post is in a splendid location, overlooking the Farne Islands and Bamburgh Castle :

Alnwick15-160510096.jpg

Alnwick15-160510097.jpg

It was a master post, the antennae equipment mount has been removed :

Alnwick15-160510112.jpg

Externally, there was a fair bit of damage, from a forced entry it would appear :

Alnwick15-160510113.jpg

Internally, it's in good nick, if a little stripped compared to our fine Highland posts :mrgreen: It seemed particularly dark in here, and I only had a filling-station wind-up torch with me... when I emerged, my brother asked how I could see down there with my shades on :lol:

(No tripod with me for these ones, hence the flashy-badness :( )

Alnwick15-160510106.jpg

Genuine ROC-issue wellies :cool:

Alnwick15-160510099.jpg

Alnwick15-160510100.jpg

Mattresses :)

Alnwick15-160510101.jpg

Loo looking good :

Alnwick15-160510107.jpg

And, as always, looking up :)

Alnwick15-160510109.jpg

I think this may be being used a 'geocache' location, from the guestbook in there there were a lot of recent signatures, no names I recognised, and a good few folk mentioned leaving things. Makes a change from taking things I guess :lol:

From what I can gather it was used by the local HAM Radio club for a while

AH, cool, thanks for that.

It'd make sense, it's a good elevated location. That may be why the aerial mount has gone too...

They used to have their own radio aerial attached to the post so they could have removed the mount when they took the aerial away

Good looking post, I guess it's remote location keeps the wee Neds (Scottish Chavs) away?

Did you get a look at the pillboxes and gun emplacements on the beach while you were there

Just a bit of extra info. 23/10 Bamburgh was the Post to develop the colour coded Metar Report Form in the late 80's.

In terrible conditions, observers were finding it difficult to record things on the old form which was all grey and reports were coming in inaccurate so 23/10 Bamburgh colour coded their form and it became so popular that it became the official documentation for the ROC.

bamburgh

just visited yesterday no change to post
(hatch was damaged so be carefull liffting it off)
put guest log in order (tidy) mentioned website
moved pieces wood in photo
managed to close hatch again

Back