Blakeley's Recycling Ltd - Bus Graveyard in Platt Bridge, Wigan - May 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrian

Old but not obsolete
Reaction score
Not much history to be found on this which is odd because it's just sat there in town completely accessible. You'd think there would be a dozen news articles about it being an eye-sore or dangerous. I guess Wigan people are just a bit different? (I married into this community 20 years ago so I'm allowed to say it.) It was apparently owned by "BLAKELEY'S RECYCLING LIMITED" which started in 1982 and dissolved on 22 May 2018. So I'm guessing it's in the hands of administrators.

Explore was easy. There's even a McDonalds next door when you're done. Amazingly only one fire seems to have been set which was confusing since we've seen mansions miles into the countryside scorched to death and even fires set on top of hills. I guess angsty teens prefer to walk a bit before getting arsony.

3buses.jpg

businterior1.jpg

businterior2.jpg

This next one smacked me in the face with school bus memories. You could still smoke upstairs in those days:

busupstairs.jpg

Question: any idea how this ended up in the middle of the bus? There are metal bars underneath to take the weight and stop it going through the floor, so someone prepared this spot to put the engine there. It's massive, heavy, no hole in roof, and the engines were kept in the back. So did someone hook this up to a crane and swing it in through an open window so it dropped into this position? If so ... why??? Or have I missed an unbelievably simple explanation?

busengine.jpg

buscrushed2.jpg

busburned.jpg

That was the only sign of arson we saw on site. It seems better to end on this next image though:

bussign.jpg

We're not vehicle buffs but this was still an excellent change from crawling through buildings. Its one we always recommend to others.

Back