Shanghai Palace Restaurant - Wigan - Oct 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrian

Old but not obsolete
Reaction score
HISTORY: Shanghai Palace first opened in 2009 on the site of the former Beer Engine pub. Before that it hosted the long standing ‘pit mon ouse’ of Poolstock labour club. It was reportedly hit by burglars no fewer than 23 times during seven years of opening. Break-ins continued after the premises were closed in 2016, with extensive damage caused to the interior and travellers setting up camp on the car park at one point for an extended period. Place apparently closed because of an argument with local council over £650,000 worth of business rates.

https://www.wigantoday.net/news/battle-shanghai-palace-721729

EXPLORE: We don't really do restaurants as they're typically quite empty or in buildings like this one that don't have that many interesting features. However we'd seen a couple of other reports which looked pretty good including a grand piano. We passed here a few times looking for entry and got lucky one day thanks to either a very determined gust of wind or a shoddy brickworker. (We guessed the latter.) Much of the stuff from previous reports was gone. But the legless piano still played so my talented urbex partner threw caution to the wind and let loose. Was worth the visit for that at least.

outside.jpg

pianofull (2).jpg

kitchen.jpg

room2.jpg

A photo of the original restaurant and bar. Certainly a lot has been removed from this place:

original1.jpg

bar1.jpg

menu.jpg

winelist.jpg

They really did just walk away from this one. Food and cooking pans were still in the kitchen and the large fridge smelt unbelievably bad when we opened it. Full of rotten food:

food2.jpg

food1.jpg

We've been seeing a lot of urbex stickers on sites we visit these days. Is that a thing any of you do? It never occured to me to mark a place I've been to.

urbexmike.jpg

Its been a few months now and someone has been out and sorted the entrance point, so I'll post that for a change. Highlight the dangers of taking your brickwork too lightly? It looked like the whole piece had just plopped out pulling the wallpaper it was attached too.

entrance.jpg

Back