Burghclere Lime Kilns (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Burghclere Lime Kilns

This post follows on for my previous one of Burghclere Signal box. Located behind the signal box was a siding that led to a chalk quarry and lime kilns.
The quarry and kilns were opened for operation in 1885 by Messers Forders. The quarries were taken over by the British Portland Cement Manufacturers Ltd in 1913. This company introduced two new kilns of German Manufacture from which lime emerged cold. The lime was taken out in sacks and transported by rail via the Didcot Newbury & Southampton Railway. The quarry appears to have finally closed in April 1938 due to a lack of demand for the product.

These posts held the gate that closed off the siding leading to the quarry
DSC_9450.jpg

Brick archway that passed under the railway siding enbankment
DSC_9565.jpg

Not sure what this is - gunpowder magazine ?
DSC_9561.jpg

Concrete roof structure covering the lime kilns - despite their size if you walked past these
you would not know they were there - I only found them by chance
DSC_9468.jpg

View looking up at lime kiln. The kilns are located on a very steep slope and are not easy to
get to - my hill climbing skills came in handy
DSC_9515.jpg

View showing the metal bands that clamped the kiln
DSC_9471.jpg

View of one of the kilns at working floor level - note the partially collapsed roof
DSC_9487.jpg

View from the working floor - that is a sheer drop at the edge of the floor area
DSC_9533.jpg

Clamping bands
DSC_9526.jpg

Clamping bands bolt detail
DSC_9535.jpg

Internal wall detail of one of the kilns
DSC_9521.jpg

Decaying brickwork
DSC_9480.jpg

Entrance onto working floor area
DSC_9489.jpg

Cast iron fire bar
DSC_9481.jpg

Narrow gauge rails used in kiln wall construction - probably salvaged from the narrow gauge
railway that was used on the site for transporting chalk from the quarry face
DSC_9540.jpg

Detail of roof steel
DSC_9537.jpg

View of the remains of the quarry workings
DSC_9466.jpg

The railway embankment that communicated with the quarry working face
DSC_9462.jpg

Former quarry workers cottages - with DN&SR trackbed in the foreground
DSC_9571.jpg

Aerial view of the site
Lime.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
Purely fascinating! What a great find, and great pics.

I'm not a million miles away, and may have to take a look.

Many thanks

Nice find, very interesting background info too, I was looking at a couple on Anglesey last year that were very boring by comparison.
:mrgreen:

great report are the cotages still occpied? i never have thoght of lime kilns been of interest to be honest, i used to have one in the field but filled it in a few year back and reseeded the whole area, i will have look see if i have any pics maye with i t in the background of something i took.the old qarry is still there though but isnt very intresting tbh

great report are the cotages still occpied? i never have thoght of lime kilns been of interest to be honest, i used to have one in the field but filled it in a few year back and reseeded the whole area, i will have look see if i have any pics maye with i t in the background of something i took.the old qarry is still there though but isnt very intresting tbh

Yes the cottages are still occupied. It is surprising that the kilns are still here being how long ago they closed down. They are literraly clinging to a hillside and look like they could fall down at any moment.

the one in me field was set into the hillside with the loading place been on the road, looked nothing like them one of oyrs thogh probly becase it was only open at the front, it was bricklined though and would have been about 30ft high, there still a few nearby so i will maybe get a look of them for you .

It's always good to see limekilns and these are so different from the normal ones in the UK. Thanks for an interesting report.

Latest posts

Back