Catacombs, West Norwood Cemetery, April 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow ! Fantastic pictures is all I can say :D !! Well done! Would love to visit a place like this!

Think I would freak myself out a little though with all the coffins :lol:

Awesome :)

x

WOW! These are truly amazing shots.I remember seeing a documetry some years back about catacombs,which included some around the London area.It never ceases to amaze me just how many interesting things lay unkown to us right upon our own doorsteps.
I think I would be somewhat hesitant of going to any catacombs by myself,though I'm sure your far less likely to get mugged down there than by all the scary people alive above ground.
Enjoyed.:)

found one coffin down there that had a date of death on it(on a brass plaque) from 1985. There was also a wreath on it from a relative dated 1987.

I thought I remembered hearing that the story was that the coffin had been put there temporarily for some reason and then got forgotten about.

The Friends of West Norwood Cemetery have occasional open days. Worth joining them as they do heroic work fighting Lambeth Council :icon_evil who seem to want to trash the site.

Nice set of pictures – my one of the roof above the coffin lift didn’t come out unfortunately

More from West Norwood

Just to add a few more pictures to Godzilla73 thread.

First off the coffin lift, tis a work of art.

4793856014_a2587603a5.jpg
4793222583_f55645f55a.jpg

4793861192_83de23a496.jpg
4793858164_5567bcc57c.jpg

Looking up at one of the air vents, there is one at the end of each passage way.

4793220387_4f6e191aa9_z.jpg

There`s still a bit of space down there and if you`v got 5 grand floating about well........

4793854764_51608972a7_z.jpg

OK thats enough, I`v added 2 new sets to my FlickR account one is full of pictures from inside the crypt and
the other is photos from the above ground cemetery.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/newage2/

Cheers Newage

Good to see you managed to get one of the coffin lift without the lights causing lots of problems or people walking in front of it! It is an amazing thing....Great pics Newage, thanks

Back