Chard anti tank island – Somerset – Dec 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Munchh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
The Chard anti tank island converges with the Taunton Stopline at it's north west and south east corners. The following report is part of a full exploration of the TSL and all the AT islands along it, which is going to take me ages. The area covered forms the south east corner of the ATI.

For anyone wishing to know more about the TSL, a link to a previous report;

[ame]http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/showthread.php?t=16334[/ame]

There are twelve ATI’s on the TSL and on a map would resemble beads on a chain. They can be described as designated areas within a town or village with fixed defences such as pillboxes, anti tank ditches and gun emplacements, designed to threaten the flanks of an enemy force, which had broken through a stop line.

What started off as a pretty simple stroll along one hedgerow to capture these pillboxes turned into a bit more than that. I just couldn’t resist having another look at the Forton stretch while I was there and whilst distracted, company showed up. I ended up using a different exit route as my entry route had suddenly become populated with farmers in pick-up trucks with dogs. Quite a comical moment as it turned out, good job I know the area well. To be honest, their presence probably had nothing to do with me, but I was keen to avoid contact just in case.

The headings contain the original 1940 serial numbers for each PB along with its type. The Somerset HER page link is also given for reference and further information.

An overview of the area;

GEmapshot.jpg

Working from the top of the map down

T 105 Type 24 pillbox

http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=55232

This was a bit of a bonus for two reasons. Firstly it’s described as being on the enclosed private woodland of Oakland House, it’s not, it’s outside the fence and therefore accessible. Secondly, I wouldn’t have discovered this had I left the area the same way I got in.

100_1377.jpg

100_1376.jpg

100_1374.jpg

T rd B 22 Roadblock

Nothing of the roadblock remains that I could see.

T 106 Type 24 pillbox

http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=55224

100_1317.jpg

100_1318.jpg

100_1321.jpg

MV 8 Vickers MMG emplacement

http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=15963

Completely destroyed except these remains

100_1325.jpg

MV 8a Vickers MMG emplacement

http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=55286

Fortunately, this one (it’s partner) survives in very good order

100_1338.jpg

100_1328.jpg

100_1332.jpg

100_1330.jpg

100_1331.jpg

T 107 Type 24 pillbox

http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=55223

100_1344.jpg

100_1353.jpg

100_1350.jpg

100_1347.jpg

MAT 612

http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=55222

Definitely there, I stopped to have a look on my way out but was on a hasty retreat so didn't photograph it. Will get it next time.

M 24

Destroyed

http://webapp1.somerset.gov.uk/her/details.asp?prn=55278

That’s all I managed in this visit, hope you like them. Thanks for looking.

Nice one some grat shots there, as for the road blocks your lucky to come across any though I supose round here we do have some.:)

Thanks for looking in guys. I see quite a few of these modified 24's around here and all still have the hinged shutter. Most have been 'lived' in at some point too, I come across quilts, mattresses even camp beds. No bodies yet though, live or dead :mrgreen:. The one overriding thing is how clean and unchavved a lot of them are. :)

Great stuff Munchh, the vast majority of the pillboxes round here are either type 22's or lozenge's and so far none of the ones I've found have had any evidence of embrasure shutters left and most have been chav'd to bits

Great stuff Munchh, the vast majority of the pillboxes round here are either type 22's or lozenge's and so far none of the ones I've found have had any evidence of embrasure shutters left and most have been chav'd to bits

Thanks jonney. Bit spoilt for choice round here with a good variety of defences in terrific condition mostly.

If you ever get down this way I'd be happy to show you around. We've got plenty of chavs but they just don't like getting their trainers dirty, thankfully. :)

Thanks jonney. Bit spoilt for choice round here with a good variety of defences in terrific condition mostly.

If you ever get down this way I'd be happy to show you around. We've got plenty of chavs but they just don't like getting their trainers dirty, thankfully. :)

Thanks for the offer mate I'll take you up on it one day

Chard

A lot of hard work done here well done!,Have you considered taking a tour group around or printing a local guide?. Lots places along here are hidden places on private land which i think are mostly farmsteads, i was going to spend a few days tracing landowners and with luck banging on farmers doors to get a look at a few i have been told about that are not near paths or roads.

Thanks for these munchh. I've updated the condition of these in my overlay and taken the liberty of linking your pics in the placemarks. If that's not OK let me know and I'll just put a link to the thread.

Thanks for these munchh. I've updated the condition of these in my overlay and taken the liberty of linking your pics in the placemarks. If that's not OK let me know and I'll just put a link to the thread.

Linking the pics sounds perfectly fine capn'. Will PM you on the rogue boxes we're discussing after the weekend. :)

A lot of hard work done here well done!,Have you considered taking a tour group around or printing a local guide?. Lots places along here are hidden places on private land which i think are mostly farmsteads, i was going to spend a few days tracing landowners and with luck banging on farmers doors to get a look at a few i have been told about that are not near paths or roads.

Thanks for your comments. :)

There are already a number of people conducting public tours etc. Not really my thing but I appreciate the meaning of your comment.

Regarding hidden places, you could try knocking on doors, I often do and I haven't been told to 'bugger off' yet. However, the comment that comes to mind is one I've seen on the forums a few times - "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Personally, I let my conscience be my guide. :)

Thanks for your comments. :)

Regarding hidden places, you could try knocking on doors, I often do and I haven't been told to 'bugger off' yet. However, the comment that comes to mind is one I've seen on the forums a few times - "It's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission"

Personally, I let my conscience be my guide. :)

Well said Munchh

Munchh forgive me for asking, i know Crewkerne Rd but i dont know how to get to the points on the aerial map you have posted.Can you give me advice where i should park and where i should start from as i would certainly like to see and learn more from what you have posted ?.
CM

I agree with Munchh on access to them. I have been tramping along the red line and so far have reached as far as Tadpole bridge in Oxfordshire. Most of the line runs beside the Thames and apart from a few pillboxes most are easy to get to with out going round asking if it is ok to visit. 3 are inaccessible due to being on river Islets (don't have a boat) but I did get photos of two of them from a guy I know who stopped off ant took some, others are in private gardens and I have yet to go round ans ask if I can visit. The two areas that go overland are the Sulham Valley and Frilford / Fyfield bits. A lot of the pillboxes were easy to get to though on farmland. I took the risk and visited them though I did ask with a couple and was told it was ok. The only one I went round the farm to ask was at Hampstead Noreys which was an old WW2 airfield with 5 pillboxes on. The manager was taken back when I asked and dithered over answering but relented in saying well at least you asked. Turned out he was well miffed off with Atlantik Wall for visiting parts of his land with out asking. The reason I asked was one of the pillboxes was right infront of the farm and I wanted to cross the land to get to it.
(I've not done a report but the photo's are on Flickr) It's down to the individual how you go about visiting pillboxes. Pillbox study group say ask which is a good idea if crossing land but if it is just over the fence or near a footpath who is to know, if you get caught you can always say sorry you did not know who owned it or where to ask and unless it is in someones back garden you would probably be ok just don't go damaging property Else you will piss them off. Best thing is get a map and work it all out first.

Munchh forgive me for asking, i know Crewkerne Rd but i dont know how to get to the points on the aerial map you have posted.Can you give me advice where i should park and where i should start from as i would certainly like to see and learn more from what you have posted ?.
CM

Welcome to DP Colonel Mustard. I hope you enjoy what it has to offer :)

First and foremost, I advise you to read the forum rules;

http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/announcement.php?f=144&a=1

Having said that, get Google Earth if you haven't already. Once you have, download cpt pies Defence of Britain overlay for GE:

http://bbs.keyhole.com/ubb/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=863080#Post863080

You now have a starting point if you use your initiative.

Good hunting :)

Back