Taunton Stopline – Chard Joint to Peasmarsh – September 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wells Museum Taunton Stopline Talk

Hi
This is taking part in a week or two and will provide lots of accurate information relating to this area with English Heritage experts on hand.If your local this will be worth attending :)

Saturday, 20th November, 2010
10am(coffee) for 10.30am at Wells Museum
Admission for the day: £10.00

THE ARCHAEOLOGY & HISTORY OF SOMERSET IN WORLD WAR II

Programme to include:

Roger Thomas (English Heritage): The National Picture of World War II Archaeology
David Hunt: Stopping the Tank and Beating the Bomber
David Hunt & Chris Webster (Somerset CC): The uses of aerial photography Chris Webster: Bombing decoys and rocket batteries
David Dawson: Maritime Somerset

Migght pop along if I'm down there, I'd intended to take some of the pillboxes around that area over the winter.

If you saw the Channel 4 programme called "The Real Dads Army" Roger Thomas was the guy who took the camera crew around and explained the Pillboxes and tank traps workings on a stopline in Wales. I dont know who David Hunt and Chris Webster are, possibly from the local council monuments department?.:lol:

David Hunt is involved with the Somerset HER. He also conducts lectures and tours of the TSL at Dillington House near Ilminster in Somerset which is how I know him. My sister is on the staff at Dillington House and introduced us a while back.

He knows his subject very well. I plan to attend his 'walk and talk' at Dillington next April. Let me know if anyone else is interested and I'll post the details. :)

David Hunt is involved with the Somerset HER. He also conducts lectures and tours of the TSL at Dillington House near Ilminster in Somerset which is how I know him. My sister is on the staff at Dillington House and introduced us a while back.

He knows his subject very well. I plan to attend his 'walk and talk' at Dillington next April. Let me know if anyone else is interested and I'll post the details. :)

I would be vey interested.

And you're not allowed to do it by phone either :lol:

Accessdetailsplease.jpg

Ambling along the Axe?

New year photographers cross country tour and visit of stopline gun shelters, pill boxes and tank traps along the course of the Axe river starting from Axminster ending in Axmouth? Any more information anyone?

Any more information anyone?
I haven't heard anything about this, but would love to know more. Just had a quick look through some of my local links and also googled, but no luck so far. Perhaps you could let us know if you find out more, Prince. :)

Last edited:
There are a lot of pillboxes , ditches, railblocks and roadblocks on the database plus a Vickers post near Axminster. No need to wait till then go and do itand post a report.

Okay, first of all, I now think it may have been a better idea for Prince47 to start his own thread re the Wells event in the general section rather than adding it here? No offence mate.

Everything thats been posted here since is in relation to Prince47's post.

Krela and I identified Chris Webster and David Hunt whose content at the event would almost certainly have dealt with the Stopline generally and as a whole.

I certainly welcome information on upcoming events in relation to the TSL but now think it should be posted elsewhere.

I'm not sure if Prince47 is now telling us about an event he has heard about or if it's something he's organising himself or what. It's a little ambiguous mate, maybe you can be more clear on this? :confused:

I also think that if you don't want to spend time researching, walking and taking photos of your own, then paying 'experts' to tell you all about it is fine. I prefer to do it myself though and agree with NC's sentiment except when I'm getting it free of charge of course. :mrgreen:

As an aside, I had intended to discuss with krela as to whether I should post future sections here or start new threads for each section. I imagine that ultimately all sections I cover will be merged by Admin or something like that?

In any event, this thread is now getting a little out of touch with itself. This isn't a rant, I'm just seeking to be clear. :)

I agree with you there Munchh, I nearly said something muself about thread jacking but did not want to upset any one

Me neither mate, especially as he's new. An understandable faux pas perhaps?

Clearly you were talking to Prince47 with your earlier comment. Foxy's covered/covering the Axmouth area herself as an ongoing project, we know this. So I completely understand her interest, it's in her area.I hope to get down there myself soonest with FL as my guide for sure. :mrgreen:

My last post was simply to gently suggest that the thread was heading off at a bit of a tangent.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back