Clogwyn y Fuwch slate quarry, Conwy, North Wales, August 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
Not a vast amount of history on the Clogwyn y Fuwch slate quarry. It is located on the north side of Mynydd Deulyn, above the Afon Crafnant near Conwy, in North Wales. The slate workings are predominantly underground and may have begun as far back as the 1700s. It was operated by William Turner when he came to Wales from the north of England in 1812, before he moved on to Blaenau Ffestiniog.

The quarry is a series of large openings up the hillside that used a cut-and-cover entrance. The site is unusual as there are workings on six levels going into a near-vertical scarp of some 400 feet on very steeply sloping ground. Sledges were originally used but later an incline was constructed to bring the material down to road. The quarry continued to be worked well into the twentieth century with output averaging about 200-300 tons per annum.

Detail of an old O/S map of the area:

2. The Explore
Spied this place high on the hill while visiting Klondyke Smelting Mill a day or two before my visit. It’s bit of a hike up here and was on a limited time frame. Sadly, ran out of time so only saw the lower chamber (Level 1). Not a lot in the way of stuff left behind but really photogenic all the same. Another for the revisit list when I get the chance.

3. The Pictures

Looking over from the other side of the valley:

The first thing you come to is a couple of old mine buildings:

Down the entrance tunnel to Level 1:

Once you pop out the lower cavern soon appears:

Wall of one of the slate cutter’s waliau:

The back wall of the lower chamber really is quite impressive:

In the upper reaches of the cavern:

And back out again:

Latest posts

Back