Compstall Mills Stockport 11/23

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bignickb

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
There is little history on this place, the village of Compstall had a mill during the cotton explosion of the Victorian times and George Andrew built houses for the workers.

That was in 1820 and a lot of the architecture still stands, the mill was closed but rejuvenated into units for smaller industries like craft, photography and even a funeral directors!

These shots are the result of 2 trips made, the first one had to be cut short due to dwindling light and I missed out on the main building. The site is huge!

So I returned and completed the explore.

As for the site - plans of regeneration are on the cards but have not yet materialised.

How Did they get this down there, the stairs I used were tiny!

I loved these ornate supports, they were throughout the site and I've never seen them anywhere else!

Looking up! This section was below ground level!

Heating!

Robot?

That roof though...

A Fork lift!

In the roof! Too sketchy to enter.

Checks?

The site! It was a maze that seemed to go n for ever!

Industry

Site map

Outside

What is this for?

Register

[/URL

The cast iron roof supports remind me of those seen supporting railway station canopies. The red ceiling-supported transport system could have been for having loads suspended from it for moving from A to B. There is an end return loop. Did you take any more pics of it? How long is it? Where was the other end?

The curved cast iron section with large retaining rods could be there to hold back the ground to the right beside the stairs - just as tunnels are round for the integral strength a circlular shape gives.

Good pics as usual. Thanks.

Back