Corngreaves Hall, Cradley Heath, March 08 (Pic Heavy)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personal experience would indicate, that it is better to have properties occupied - charging peppercorn rents if necessary - whilst planning is being sorted out. Letting old property stand empty is not an option.

This is very true, in fact there's a group in Bristol who have taken this very idea and run with it. They're a group of 'ethical squatters' who move into abandoned places and look after them until the developers / owners decide what to do with them. They even do things like put on gallery exhibitions and plays etc.

http://www.artspacelifespace.com/

This is very true, in fact there's a group in Bristol who have taken this very idea and run with it. They're a group of 'ethical squatters' who move into abandoned places and look after them until the developers / owners decide what to do with them. They even do things like put on gallery exhibitions and plays etc.

There should be more groups like this - far cheaper than lackadaisical security firms, and boarded up windows and doors. Boarding is just a sign saying "come and strip me out, all welcome". It is not just property ripe for redevelopment, that like groups should protect. There are large numbers of council houses/properties that are emptied, prior to modernisation/estate development etc. Large amounts of 'our money' has to be paid out rectifying the vandalism before the modernisation can start. I dread to think how much extra money Leeds City Council and its partners have paid out, during the recent spate of modernisations - too much, judging by the Council Tax Bill that came through the door today!!

It would be great to see places like CGH should totally be saved from vandals and general damage caused by decay. Such a shame to have a house of a pretty significant person go to waste. :mad:

There is a company that specializes in renting out empty and disused building for housing while owners are away, being sold or use is changing. It was featured on a TV documentary

http://www.english-heritage.org.uk/server/show/ConBar.6177

I like the way it says "Condition Fair". Obviously a bit out of date.

To be honest, I'd say 'Fair' was actually rather accurate. Yes, there were some mashed up parts of the building, but there was also a lot that was well kept. The central stairway is obviously rather recent, and there are many rooms that we didn't bother to shoot photos of because they are just big empty clean rooms with nothing to see in them.

A lot of the rooms need emptying, then just a clean and a lick of paint and they'd be fine. If I won the lottery I'd probably buy it and do it up.

i live about 1 minute away by car lol, well done guys this site is such a great one!
and yeah you have good confidence with those drunks, dont wanna b stuck in a room full of drunk teenages i can tell you that :lol:

that place has changed since i last saw it :mad:
about 6 years ago !!! It makes me sad to see it getting destroyed mindlessly
idiots from the local housing estates are tearing this important historical site apart I do hope that the project in charge can sort this out before its too late :cry:
I believe it used to be part of the large estate that is now a golf course wich also used to a quarry of some sort ! theres an old mine not too far from there with a pit shaft still intact ..
If anyone is interested im sure i could make a trip and show you where it is .. Access is tight and rather hard as its a good climb up a rather steep slope
Peace Snoop:)

Last edited:
Back