Dads Army

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydealfred

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
I know its not usual to submit such a post but given the 70th anniversary of the Battle Of Britain and my recent batch of pillbox uploads, I hope it will be appropriate. These are the personnel who would have manned the defences in 1940 along with the remnants of the BEF brought back from Dunkirk after the Fall Of France. They all appear to be Dads Army characters but the uniforms and weaponary look to be of the period and authentic. Looking at the vehicles and weapons, it makes you wonder how much chance they would have had against a modern mechanised army, but you have to admire their motivation and bravery back then. The shots were taken at Shoreham Airshow in August 2010.

Improvised armoured car - Captain Mainwaring with a Sten gun in hand - I dont think these were available in 1940

DSC_3138.jpg

I assume this to be a Boys anti tank rifle

DSC_3133.jpg

1940's mobility and firepower

DSC_3137.jpg

Typical period transport - don't tell him Pike !

DSC_3135.jpg

Not the correct mark of Spitfire for 1940 but the correct colour scheme and markings - note the air defence Lewis Gun

DSC_1249.jpg

I assume these are Frazer and Godfrey

DSC_3140.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Last edited:
I reckon thats a great post..as you say ..not strictly 'urbex' ( to use a phrase I think is patheticly pretensious and utterly daft by the way...) but its still sorta relevant especially in the light of all the pillboxs on here! hehehe! ... the reality of it back in 1940 wasn't that far from what these photos portray either..and like you suggest.. it would have been utter horrific carnage if the well oiled German war machine of1940 had got here.....thank christamighty they didn't....no dis-respect intended to the brave men of the Home Guard at all but .....the germans had already ran through the French and British BEF like shit thru a goose......what price poor old Pike and his chums?:lol:

I reckon thats a great post..as you say ..not strictly 'urbex' ( to use a phrase I think is patheticly pretensious and utterly daft by the way...) but its still sorta relevant especially in the light of all the pillboxs on here! hehehe! ... the reality of it back in 1940 wasn't that far from what these photos portray either..and like you suggest.. it would have been utter horrific carnage if the well oiled German war machine of1940 had got here.....thank christamighty they didn't....no dis-respect intended to the brave men of the Home Guard at all but .....the germans had already ran through the French and British BEF like shit thru a goose......what price poor old Pike and his chums?:lol:

Thanks Smiffy - I just found it sort of poignant watching this reinactment.

Back