Dawlish Warren, Devon 2 Pill Boxs - 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah not sure why that didn't work. It was a search on the 'Reference material' section of the site which will give you all manner of info including old maps etc. It can be found under the 'Forums' tab if you haven't already spotted it. Happy hunting. :)

Oh and I agree with jon, if we can see what's in the pics and they don't make your eyes bleed then they're fine. You don't need to be David Bailey.

Ok mate i will take a look for it then, sounds good.
And thanks, i know some of my pics turned out good.

Some excellent pillboxes there, the first one has qutie a thick roof. Possibly something else was on the top.

To be honest mate, i dont have any knowledge about pill boxes etc, so i cant really say. What is the reason for the pattern along the side of the roof? Would this be some kind of trick to make any air attacks not know that was a pill box?

In pictures 16 & 17 of the 2nd box, there is some sort of bolt, would this be for some sort of flap/metal plate that would close etc for any reasons?

To be honest mate, i dont have any knowledge about pill boxes etc, so i cant really say. What is the reason for the pattern along the side of the roof? Would this be some kind of trick to make any air attacks not know that was a pill box?

In pictures 16 & 17 of the 2nd box, there is some sort of bolt, would this be for some sort of flap/metal plate that would close etc for any reasons?

That looks like evidence of a hinge for a plate shutter which has corroded away. Sometimes these are sliding shutters (RAF PBs have good evidence of this). Usually the shutters or in some instances the doors are laying close by. It is often the small idiosyncrasies of a PB that make them so interesting. My goal is to find a PB with the gun mounts and brackets in place. Another thing that gets me going is barbed wire, concrete sandbags and aging wooden shelving, bolts etc.......The great thing about this passion is the research and sucking up information like a sponge.

That looks like evidence of a hinge for a plate shutter which has corroded away. Sometimes these are sliding shutters (RAF PBs have good evidence of this). Usually the shutters or in some instances the doors are laying close by. It is often the small idiosyncrasies of a PB that make them so interesting. My goal is to find a PB with the gun mounts and brackets in place. Another thing that gets me going is barbed wire, concrete sandbags and aging wooden shelving, bolts etc.......The great thing about this passion is the research and sucking up information like a sponge.

Ah yes i thought it would of been something like that. Thanks mate.
There was nothing laying around tbh, all i saw i there was a big old rusty pipe, a rusted paint pot with an old brush, an old rusted piece of congregated tin roof, and some sort of very rusty/rotted box.

Good luck with your goal, im sure there will be one somewhere right?
Yes i agree, im starting to get into this now, shame i lives i Bristol, and have no means of transport lol.

Again cheers mate.

Well when a few of us race to the finish of mapping the Avon we could meet up to catch the green stop line. There is plenty out your way as you could imagine. Bristol was apparently the final stop line for supply and evac should an invasion in the south have been successful. I envy you living there. House swap?

........................... My goal is to find a PB with the gun mounts and brackets in place....................

One or two near you Senne. ;)

100_1428.jpg

100_1429.jpg

:)

Latest posts

Back