Denbigh Asylum -THE RETURN -September, 2007

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Such an awesome complex of buildings!

:)

JD

Yeah, sure is JD. Have you been here? It blows me mind to see so many architecturally ornate details in one place! :mrgreen:
Even the 1970's lift towers in this place they've tried at least to blend in (same colour) :)
Thanks for your interest buddy. See ya at the DP meet?

Wowee mate...excellent stuff!
Really like that shot through the silouette of broken windows.

Cheers LB :)

Ahhh, you is sooo kind Foxy! :)
I always try to get some half-decent pics (hence taking over 1,000 on this visit!) the idea being that for every 20 or so, one will come-out okay!! :lol:
As always, your comments are very much appreciated :)

Lb:cool:

What can i say? Fantastic report, looks like a really enjoyable trip. The sign with 'sanatorium' blanked out is quite a nice touch. The original hidden ceiling in the hall is fanstastic and in pretty good shape. Criminal that they ever covered over it.

Photos are good, some really original ones in there.

Great stuff...Mr. B

Thanking you kindly Mr. Bones for your favourable comments! :)
Interestingly, the sign pointing to the 'SANATORIUM' was pointing away from Denbigh Asylum, so perhaps there's another place waiting to be explored nearby. The funny thing is, on our first visit to Denbigh, we couldn't find the place for hours, and was convinced that it was in the direction of that sign!!! :eek:
I agree, real shame the original ceiling has been covered up -but at least it perhaps has preserved it a little better?

p.s. -here's that pic of the crawl space gantry right above the ornate ceiling of the Main Hall..................

DSCN2173.png

Reckon it leads to the octagonal tower ontop of the roof. Wimped out of going through, as the boards stop a little way down and didn't fancy "breaking a leg" over the stage!! :eek:;)

Lovely photos, looks like you had a good time there.

Interestingly, the sign pointing to the 'SANATORIUM' was pointing away from Denbigh Asylum, so perhaps there's another place waiting to be explored nearby. The funny thing is, on our first visit to Denbigh, we couldn't find the place for hours, and was convinced that it was in the direction of that sign!!! :eek:

The sign would actually have been directing towards the North Wales Sanatorium, which was used for the treatment of Pulmonary Tuberculosis. It was later known as LLangwyfan Hospital and later also treated other thoracic conditions. I beieve it closed (as long ago as 1981?) and been replaced by a development called highfield park which includes a mental health unit..

Heres an aerial phot of it, unfortunately rather small.
17904704fa4af26ed.bmp

and on Flash earth below.
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.185062&lon=-3.315623&z=17.7&r=356&src=msl

Pete

fantastic pics - am gutted i couldn't make it. question tho - in the first set, 5th pic down (tunnel) - is that hair i can see on the floor??:eek:

Lovely photos, looks like you had a good time there.

The sign would actually have been directing towards the North Wales Sanatorium, which was used for the treatment of Pulmonary Tuberculosis. It was later known as LLangwyfan Hospital and later also treated other thoracic conditions. I beieve it closed (as long ago as 1981?) and been replaced by a development called highfield park which includes a mental health unit..

Heres an aerial phot of it, unfortunately rather small.
17904704fa4af26ed.bmp

and on Flash earth below.
http://www.flashearth.com/?lat=53.185062&lon=-3.315623&z=17.7&r=356&src=msl

Pete

Thanks for your comments Pete. That really is an interesting bit of history on the Sanatorium. Thanks for that, and also the picture. Looks like it was built somtime in the 1920's or 1930's by the style and layout (bit like the original Broomfield Hospital in Chelmsford, Essex) -co-incidentally also for TB (or maybe not such a co-incidence if Sanatoriums were built just for TB?
anyway, see link for pic of Broomfield Hospital below.............

http://www.meht.nhs.uk/trust/historybroomfield.htm

Ta very much again Pete :)

Having looked at the aerial on Flash Earth, looks like a few if the original Sanatorium buildings are still there :)

Latest posts

Back