Derby Railway Warehouse - April 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice pictures NobodyGirl, and welcome to the forum. Good to see its not been sealed up, which can't be said for other buildings in Derby.

I remember when the staircase was still intact two years ago (and most entrances in were wide open) I wish I had the guts to climb the stairs back then because I bet it was amazing.

Doing some research into the building I came across this planning application on Derby City Council's website LINK
very interesting link, mate,
it is too nice a building to be demolished for some ticky tacky rubbish to replace it,
hope something usefull will be made out of it to preserve the exterior look of the place, which i really like.
interesting to hear from someone who visited the place when that spiral cast iron staircase was intact!
bet it was a bit of a gamble to go up it, even a couple of years ago tho!:)

haha awesome!

Were just planning on nicking my dads fireman gear. Ill probably not make it, I have no upper arm strength what so ever... lol.

Once I'm up there - and WILL get up there damnit - it shouldn't be that hard for others to follow. Possibly be able to rig some form of sling lift.

I'm certainly going to get up there, and if anyone else wants to come up, I'll try and get them up.

Although, Ashless will tell you I'm not entirely sane, but don't believe him, that's just what the voices tell him.

Re: Derby Railway Warehouse - 19/4/08

I got advised about that area by a Homeless guy in there who I had a nice chat with. I did see the underground area but the guy I was with wasn't happy about going down there and would not go down. So I diddnt spend long. Im going back soon, its sorta local so I diddnt mind missing it that time.

It wasn't one of these guys you were talking to was it?

Photo123.png

This is ThenewMendoza (he's on the left lol) chatting to Pete and Nigel, before they took us both on a tour, and TnM got fleeced for £2 and a couple of ciggies, and he got a warning from Nigel, 'Don't go in there Ian, it's dark, there's rats, Ian, IAN, don't go in there' - lmao. All I got was from Nige, 'effing hell, she's just going in, she doesn't care effing hell' then from Pete, 'she'll be fine Nige, she's got a head torch' huh, charming :lol::lol::lol:

:) Sal

Last edited:
Re: Derby Railway Warehouse - 19/4/08

It wasn't one of these guys you were talking to was it?

Photo123.png

This is ThenewMendoza (he's on the left lol) chatting to Pete and Nigel, before they took us both on a tour, and TnM got fleeced for £2 and a couple of ciggies, and he got a warning from Nigel, 'Don't go in there Ian, it's dark, there's rats, Ian, IAN, don't go in there' - lmao. All I got was from Nige, 'effing hell, she's just going in, she doesn't care effing hell' then from Pete, 'she'll be fine Nige, she's got a head torch' huh, charming :lol::lol::lol:

:) Sal

lol nah, Just some guy with a can of some cheep cider and a cig wondering why on earth we found the place exciting.

Once I'm up there - and WILL get up there damnit - it shouldn't be that hard for others to follow. Possibly be able to rig some form of sling lift.

I'm certainly going to get up there, and if anyone else wants to come up, I'll try and get them up.

Although, Ashless will tell you I'm not entirely sane, but don't believe him, that's just what the voices tell him.

I got called insane yesterday for wanting to jump down and see what the lower areas were like. I kept getting told it was unsafe and the floors would go through, but I was positive I was getting down there before I left. And I did! I did see some of the basement but I didn't go far. There were a bunch of kids that were there who all looked about 12/13ish that were pretty much showing me round and then Skaterdrew came down. Unfortunatly I had to leave and was pretty annoyed because I wanted to see the entirety of it.

Ill spend a day there next time, im seeing the whole thing. and I think the rope ladder idea WILL work. Totally.

That climb down was sketchy though. Some of the timber was rotten and is now in a really bad shape. Thats the lowest level so it cant collaspe any more really. I'm just shocked the wooden level above it can surport all the bricks that haven collasped on to it.

very interesting link, mate,
it is too nice a building to be demolished for some ticky tacky rubbish to replace it,
hope something usefull will be made out of it to preserve the exterior look of the place, which i really like.
interesting to hear from someone who visited the place when that spiral cast iron staircase was intact!
bet it was a bit of a gamble to go up it, even a couple of years ago tho!:)

Whilst it will be a shame to loose the ability to explore the building, its good that the planning application is a conversion and restoration. This will at least extend the life of this magnificent building which is quickly falling apart

Talking of falling apart, is no one else surprise that this wooden floor hasn't collapsed under the weight of all the rubble. Saying this the wall appear to be built to last going by their thickness so i don't see why this doesn't apply to the floor as well.

Last edited:
I was crapping myself as well wen i poked my head though the hole to see you there mikeymike. Until i noticed you had a tripod :)

Never crossed my mind you could have been a druggy who had mugged a photographer!

Glad you two wern't.

I didn't do much photography in the end, I was high on adrenaline from all the climbing. Who needs to be a druggy wen your have this hobby for a buzz.

^^ Reckon some of the Derby veterans will be giving basement tours soon :lol:[/QUOTE]

Hey not a bad idea,what with this and the culvert,we are going to be kept pretty busy.May even set up a stall selling hard hats,masks,torches, batteries etc.:lol::lol::lol:

what do you reckon Ashless:exclaim:

it facinates me as to how they got the car by the entrance in the position its in

It's great! I can just squeeze round the side of that thing, otherwise I'd be walking the plank that Crashmatt quite happily dances over!

Gutted I missed the Stafford trip guys!

It's great! I can just squeeze round the side of that thing, otherwise I'd be walking the plank that Crashmatt quite happily dances over!

Gutted I missed the Stafford trip guys!

Pah, that plank is perfectly sound. Well, it wobbles a bit

We'll be going back to Stafford, so I'll give you a shout when we do :)

The building was in pretty good condition until the mid 1990s when it was the victim of a major arson attack - nearby Friar Gate (a major route into Derby) was closed due to burning sections of the roof landing on the road.

Heres a picture of some of its outbuildings taken in 1978;
DRBY002440.jpg

Currently it seems the owners don't want anything to do with it, I can imagine its a very expensive job if somebody was to restore it. Derby Cityscape (Derby Urban Regeneration company) want to build apartments on the land around the building. It can't be demolished due to being listed. The Council wants to return the former railway line to use as a guided bus way which will drastically cut journey time between the city and the western suburbs.

this place looks amazing :mrgreen:
looks like you could easily spend a day there!
eagerly awaiting pics from the 1st floor.........

looks really badly fire damaged though :mad:

Latest posts

Back