Derelict, Construction, Vehicles, Gill Bay, Scotland 7/08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stesh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Noticed these large pieces of rusting metal while waiting for my Pentland Ferry to turn up.

31-07-08_1805.png

31-07-08_1806.png

31-07-08_1807.png

31-07-08_1808.png

31-07-08_1809.png

31-07-08_1810.png

31-07-08_1812.png

31-07-08_1813.png

31-07-08_1814.png

31-07-08_1815.png

Brilliant find. Old trucks like this are fantastic. Big engines and rust is what its all about!

These are surprisingly in quite good condition by the look of the photos, reminds me of my old Tonka toys

Nice report

I was going to suggest it must have been tempting to try and have a go in them. And then I saw the state of the steering wheel...

?????

'Think the first old dumper is an Aveling Barford ( British made.... went kaputt long ago though)......The dozer looks like maybe a Caterpillar D4...? She looks like she'd still do a bit of work but I'll bet she's hell to drive...manual steering (no power assist in them days !) and manual drive clutch too...mighty damn hard work on the clutch leg!!!..... also I'd bet the blade gear is shot to hell and back ..almost impossible to doze level with her cos the blade would slop up and down all the time....... Some old plant man will quite probably come on here now and scoff at me though claiming they could push a perfectly level tennis court with her........heheheh!!!
Great stuff anyways !!! :)

'Think the first old dumper is an Aveling Barford ( British made.... went kaputt long ago though)......The dozer looks like maybe a Caterpillar D4...? She looks like she'd still do a bit of work but I'll bet she's hell to drive...manual steering (no power assist in them days !) and manual drive clutch too...mighty damn hard work on the clutch leg!!!..... also I'd bet the blade gear is shot to hell and back ..almost impossible to doze level with her cos the blade would slop up and down all the time....... Some old plant man will quite probably come on here now and scoff at me though claiming they could push a perfectly level tennis court with her........heheheh!!!
Great stuff anyways !!! :)

The dumper is an Aveling Barford and it was made in Britan, to be more precise it was made in Grantham Lincolnshire. The company had not gone kaputt. There has been many redundancies there, and that is because the housing market is falling.

The dumper in the picture is not being manufactored anymore. put they are still being mantained and repared by Aveling Barford.

If anyone wants anymore information about Aveling Barfords, let me know and i will ask my step-dad who works there.

I stand happily corrected mate:)....I honestly thought AB had gone years ago.........wasn't Ruston Bycyrus also in Lincolnshire somewhere???? Have they survived????????:)

Excellent find! and i'm confident that these would be easy enought to get running again! Heavy machinery always wears better than cars

What's that little monitor for? The 'elf 'n' safety crowd won't like that - distracting the driver.

Oh, perhaps they will like it then. It's so hard to tell with the 'elf 'n' safety crowd.

Back