Down Thomas HAA Battery, SW Devon

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Badoosh

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Part of the Plymouth Defences, Down Thomas HAA Battery was built in 1940 to accommodate four 3.7 inch guns in octagonal emplacements, & was manned by 210 HAA battery in 1941. Two rectangular emplacements were added at a later date for 3.7 inch or 4.5 inch guns. The accommodation buildings have been replaced by new houses, but it's possible the Guardhouse was converted into a modern home.

The site is on private farmland in everyday use & much of it is very overgrown, although there was a nice surprise in store in the 5 bay Magazine. Visted with theterrorwheel & friends after a rather comical day.

Our guide for the visit, very friendly leading us into the 5 bay magazine...

DownThomas042.jpg

....which contained the surprise of the day!

DownThomas067.jpg

Another view showing Nos.3, 2 & 1 Recess

DownThomas065.jpg

Exterior view of the 5 bay magazine. Unfortunately the heavy steel doors have been removed in recent years

DownThomas082.jpg

One of two small shelters with the new houses in the background

DownThomas029.jpg

One of the two rectangular emplacements. We were informed by a local that this one imploded sadly killing the gun crew, which we are still looking for further confirmation on

DownThomas084.jpg

One of the four octagonal emplacements. Doors to the ammunition lockers have all been removed & it was difficult to find the holdfast mountings for the guns

DownThomas108.jpg

Motor transport workshop/gun store

DownThomas173.jpg

The semi-sunken Command Post in the centre of the Battery, with three rooms inside & observation platforms on the exterior

DownThomas110.jpg

Stood at the steps leading down to the CP, showing the pillar for the height range finder & steps to the roof

DownThomas117.jpg

Inside the largest of three rooms

DownThomas136.jpg

Inside one of the smaller rooms

DownThomas124.jpg

mate when i did that one i had a comical day too!

first did lentney then renney, and just had a few min of light left to do down thomas HAA, not wanting to be noticed i walked down the lane but all i could here was music.... shit someone there having a party...

bugger, but on i went, music was classical....how odd....still i went on....

turns out the farmer was playing it to his chickens!:lol:

ill have to go back, love the writing, didnt see it when i went !

mate when i did that one i had a comical day too!

first did lentney then renney, and just had a few min of light left to do down thomas HAA, not wanting to be noticed i walked down the lane but all i could here was music.... shit someone there having a party...

bugger, but on i went, music was classical....how odd....still i went on....

turns out the farmer was playing it to his chickens!:lol:

ill have to go back, love the writing, didnt see it when i went !

LOL. We heard the music too but couldn't resist when our "guide" offered to teach us the Funky Chicken!:lol:

Cool farmer! No wonder the chuck wanted to show you around! :mrgreen:
Excellent site, Badoosh. Seeing the signage gave me goosebumps...wonderful that it's still there. :)

great site with lots still well preserved which is nice to see. Nice one Badoosh

i didnt get many pics of this place due to it being reallly cold on our visit,but did get a few of course.

pic1-1.jpg

pic6-1.jpg

pic7-1.jpg

pic2-1.jpg

pic3.jpg

pic8-1.jpg

pic9-1.jpg

these were mad
pic5-1.jpg

land rover chassis
pi7.jpg

Back