Draining pump, Tower End, Middleton, Norfolk, December 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
Remains of the draining pump to the west of Tower End, outside King’s Lynn. It was constructed in 1877 and was located at a junction with a number of sluices on the Middleton Stop Drain. Originally the site of a wing pump, it was built by Sir Lewis Whincop Jarvis and powered by a 10hp non-condensing vertical steam engine. The pump house closed in 1934 but machinery was not dismantled till 1975.

2. The Explore
It was a relaxed wander out to this place on a pretty horrible December morn. Big up to @Mikeymutt for giving me the head’s up about this one. It was nice to see the chimney still intact and the water wheel still in situ. Nothing earth-shattering but a lovely bit of our industrial heritage in a lovely rural setting.

3. The Pictures
Approaching from the east:

Graff gangs have reached here:

The very fine chimney that still remains:

The now collapsed pump house:

On to the waterwheel:

Bit of remaining ironwork:

On to the chimney base:

Chimney up-shot:

That's all Folks!!!

Nice mate. I could not believe the graffiti as it's really in the middle of nowhere and a trek to it. I never looked in the chimney. It's a real old one this.

If "the machinery was not dismantled until 1975", did it go to a museum somewhere, or was it just taken for its scrap metal value? If the latter, what a shame. The oldest grafitti I have seen is visitors' initials carved - very neatly - into the rock at the top of Stone Mountain, just outside Atlanta, Georgia, USA. The date was the 1880s.

Back