Druridge Bay and Widdrington remains part 1

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jonney

Reaction score
Well following on from the decoy site I headed towards the sea and Druridge bay where all sorts of goodies still remain. I will split the report into 2 parts so that I don't bore you too much...Anyhoo a bit of history to start with...

The level sandy beach at Druridge Bay was considered to be exceptionally vulnerable to an attack by enemy landing craft. It was the most critical point at the centre of the defence positions occupied by the 162nd Infantry Brigade, defending the Northumberland coast during the critical invasion danger period of June - September 1940.1 By November 1940, this brigade had been replaced by the 202nd Infantry Brigade.

The defence of Druridge Bay was organised by front-line firing positions, including pillboxes, situated amongst the sand dunes overlooking the beach. Anti-tank cubes were positioned in almost continuous lengths along the beach, but blocking in particular the exits between the dunes where they were arranged in two and sometimes three lines. From 1941, these were supplemented by anti-tank scaffolding, normally placed in front of the concrete cubes, but sometimes behind. An anti-tank ditch was dug at the back of the dunes, and minefields were laid.

From early in 1941, the extended defences along Druridge Bay were arranged around a series of defended localities, of which there were two at Druridge, another at Hemscott Hill, and a further to the rear at Chibburn. At the latter, the medieval preceptory was included in the defences. Also to the rear, Widdrington and Widdrington Station were defended with machine gun emplacements and roadblocks, with a further anti-tank ditch running in front of these positions. The slightly higher ground here gave a good command of the beach front. Battle headquarters for the defence of the Druridge Bay Sub-Sector was at Druridge, with both company and battalion headquarters to the rear at Widdrington Station where the railway line, which gave this place its name, formed the rear boundary. Open fields were blocked against enemy aircraft by machine-dug anti-landing trenches.

Two-pounder anti-tank guns were positioned at Druridge and south of Hemscott Hill, while at Druridge were two 6pdr. guns manned by 938 Battery of the 9th (Northumbrian) Defence Regiment RA. To the rear were two 60pdr guns and a 4.75mm with firing tasks on the beaches. In addition, a coast battery, with two Mk.VII 6in. guns and two searchlights manned by 311 Battery of 510 Coast Regiment RA, was sited at Hemscott Hill.

The 7th Bn. East Lancashire Regiment manned the beach front defences of the Druridge Sub-Sector from late 1940 to mid-1941, with one company forward and one in reserve at Widdrington. The defended localities at Druridge were held by a single platoon, with a further platoon responsible for the two 6pdr. guns and a beach light. Seven accommodation huts were provided for these troops. Defences at Widdrington, including roadblocks, pillboxes, and 'beehives' [thought to be sandbagged positions], were manned by the 3rd Bn. Northumberland Home Guard.

This is a map of the area, the blue line represents anti-tank trench positions and the yellow line is the boundries of the different military companies

5.jpg

right on with some photo's

first thing I spotted on the way was this loophole (or embrasure) wall which is not on the DoB but is well documented locally

DSCF4388.jpg

The other side is a bit overgrown now
DSCF4387.jpg

now down to the beach...ww2 aerial phot showing the first ports of call
4a.jpg

and a pillbox that needs no introductions because it is well documented on here
DSCF4354.jpg

DSCF4355.jpg

DSCF4356.jpg

DSCF4359.jpg

DSCF4360.jpg

now a mixture of guard cows, electric fence and a grumpy farmer telling me to f***off stopped me getting access to the accommodation block bases but managed to get a few pics from the road side

DSCF4362.jpg

DSCF4365.jpg

DSCF4366.jpg

And finally for this part some anti-tank blocks and a piece of beach scaffolding

DSCF4369.jpg

part 2 to follow shortly with more pillboxes, tank blocks and a couple of unknowns

P.S. the DoB also list there being another pillbox at this end of the beach (S0016607) but I can report that it is a modern day brick built structure and not a pillbox

Cheers for looking
Jon

Last edited:
Why are some farmers so fucking grumpy not exsacly goingto nick it are you and a cow is not an easy thing to put in your car.

Latest posts

Back