Elm Park Quarry, Corsham

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riskybex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
History

1900 Elm Park was owned by the Thomas family.
1912 The start of quarrying, the first stones being used to build Gastard church.

1925 Quarry stops due to the hardness of the stone, manual method proves hard going. Horses and carts were used. The hard stone was used for kerbstones.

WW2 Quarry taken over by No. 40 group, controlled by RAF Quedgely in Gloucestershire. The RAF used it to store lubricating oils and similar in drums.

1st March 1941 Elm Park transferred to No.42 Group as a satellite to Ridge Quarry. Now under the control of Flying Officer G.N.R Saltmarsh.

22nd March Takes on 18 1000lb bombs, taken from RAF Harpur Hill as part of a successful experiment.
5th April A heading, innermost end, was let to University of Bristol for archive storage. (this ended towards the end of the war)
Jan 1943 Stocks totalled 111 tons of ammunition.
June 1943 A rush output of stocked pre-empted closure as a magazine.

30th July 1943 Stocks left moved to Ridge Quarry
Oct 1943 Quarry transferred to the Admiralty.

FB_IMG_1687226570970.jpg

Slope Shaft Entrance

FB_IMG_1687226566423.jpg

Flooded section upon entering the Quarry

FB_IMG_1687226568768.jpg

FB_IMG_1687226573139.jpg

Curious comment about the stone being too hard to work - by hand. I was not aware of any Bath stone being that hard. Or were there inclusions of other types
of stone - hard limestones, for example - within the Bath country rock? Some years back I went down one of the Bath stone mines in the Corsham area, opened to paying visitors. The views here are similar. There are shots of Ridge Quarry on Google. Also a lot of comments about criminal damage to property and vehicles of residents living nearby. Why?

Curious comment about the stone being too hard to work - by hand. I was not aware of any Bath stone being that hard. Or were there inclusions of other types
of stone - hard limestones, for example - within the Bath country rock? Some years back I went down one of the Bath stone mines in the Corsham area, opened to paying visitors. The views here are similar. There are shots of Ridge Quarry on Google. Also a lot of comments about criminal damage to property and vehicles of residents living nearby. Why?
I'm pretty sure Ridge Quarry is a active Quarry it was once abandoned/disused but no longer.

Reminds me of Box Quarry and Farleigh Down sidings! Did them about 14 years ago. Dunno if they even exist now. There's so many tunnels up there though!

yep, box & brown folley r still doable.
Farliegh has new owners & they laughably have pallisade fence up & sensors with active security. its still been done again recently by someone though.

Back