Empty village? Big pics warning.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I

Can somebody please pm me the location/postcode? The mention of "Otley Old Road" and "Pool" in an earlier post, makes me wonder if this place is on my doorstep - I live in Rawdon Leeds. I am more interested in finding out the history of this site, than actually visiting same.

yep same here, im getting an inkling that this place is up north, whats the big secret on the location it would save a lot of pm's being sent out if it was just put on here, does anyone actually know where this place is?

My brain must be Adel-ed, should have recognised this - not an abandoned village as such. It is the old Reform School, Tile Lane, in whose grounds has been built the New Eastmoor Secure Unit for children. (The prison referred to in one of the posts above). Not been in that lane for thirty odd years.

The site was originally developed as the Leeds Reformatory School. I surmise it was built originally in the 1870s/1880s - nothing on the 1851 map, but clearly shown on the 1893 edition. - and was then added to/altered over the years. When the school was originally opened, it would have been very much like a small village - staff housing, laundry, workshop, etc., as well as the dormitories and class rooms. It was a mixed school, in the Victorian sense of the word, and the regime would have been very harsh. As in the asylums of that era, the inmates were expected to clean the institution and do other work.

Last edited:
How strange - they look like very liveable premises but they're not being lived in. Makes you wonder about the shortage of houses we keep hearing about.

Me and my gf went there today, it's student housing for Leeds University. (found some sheets for the rooms). Sorry to kinda spoil the excitement there, I thought you might want to know about it. We got into 2 of the apartment blocks, they are practically empty. Although we haven't infiltrated the prison style building yet it's one for the list for sure. It's probably much more interesting than the apartments.

However we had a look inside through a loose panel, it looks to have been abandoned for a lot longer than the houses.

Anyway I shall be posting a full report in the next few days I'll give more info and some pictures for you all then.

No it is not student accommodation, do your research properly. When the old reform school closed down, the University of Leeds tried to use the 1960s buildings - most of these were built as staff houses - as a student residence. The university soon abandoned the idea, the students did not like the remote location and lack of facilities. The site is owned by Barratt Homes who have applied for planning to build 71 houses on the site. Only the Chapel is listed, but this is now showing severe structural failure and its survival must be questionable. All the rest of the buildings are coming down - The 1960s buildings exhibit the typical wood rot of that era and the Victorian buildings are now so vandalised to be beyond economic conversion. In fact Leeds City Council offered to do the demolition on completion of the sale to Barratts, who refused to pay the estimated £200,000 costs!

The occupied house at the back of the site is owned by former members of the reform school staff. My wife and I met them whilst we were all walking our dogs, and got talking about the history of the place. They have worked and lived there for over thirty years, purchasing their house when the school closed. In the 1970s there were 100 boys at the school. the dormitories being the upper floors of the large stone building. The ground floor contained class rooms and dinning rooms etc. The old headmaster's house was so badly damaged by fire that it had to be demolished some time ago. A roofless, fire damaged 1960s building still stands.

The sight of the original reform school, that housed 100 boys, without high boundary walls/fences, makes a telling comparison with the new Secure Unit alongside. This unit surrounded by a high anti-climb fence, double locked gates and full cctv coverage, houses just 34 young offenders. A clear sign of the lessening standards in society today.

A word of warning. The occupiers have got so fed up with the nightly vandalism, that they now phone the security company every time they see or hear people in the abandoned buildings ( their dog has very good hearing). Security always attend accompanied by the Police. Whilst we were taking this afternoon, there were three persons banging about inside the Victorian building. Security had been informed, I was told, and sure enough they arrived with two police cars in attendance.

We found welcome letters and rules of living in the building scattered around Theaker House and posters of music events and adds for student events that points to it last being used as student accommodation.

i think the people who have lived there for 30 years should no what it was used for! clearly the leaflets have just been dumped there. theres noway that a place like this would be student accomadation as theres no shops or pubs near by. i should no i was a student.

strange:exclaim:

Like the old Baptist College in Cragg Wood - used by Trinity College, and the 1960s buildings on the Reform School site - used by Leeds University. These places are well off the beaten track and students were not happy or settled there. University students did occupy the reform school site for a very short period. That it was not kept as overflow accommodation, is evidence enough as to its unsuitability, for this purpose.

Last edited:
Cheers for the info DS, and the history of the site. Been searching google earth for months trying to work out where it is, and now eventually have found it lol.

I always think its great when there are people who used to work in these places, and now still live there to be able to talk to and find out the history of them.

Cheers,

:) Sal

So I take it that there's no issue with wandering around the place providing you don't start breaking and entering?

No, it's the idiots that start fooling around and making a disturbance that upsets the owner's of the occupied house. A quiet nosey round the site should not cause problems. People banging about inside the buildings are obviously up to no good and just bring attention upon themselves.

plz could i have a postcode or area of this place me and my friend have looking all other for it so far we have manged to find the old bunker in adel woods which is alrmed and also a steal door plz could u pm me with location plz

plz could i have a postcode or area of this place me and my friend have looking all other for it so far we have manged to find the old bunker in adel woods which is alrmed and also a steal door plz could u pm me with location plz

No you can't.

My post of 11th March gives you all the clues you need to find same - read it carefully!!

went for a look the other day thanks to dirus strictus cryptic clues was quiet as we walked round but could here shouting from within here are a couple of photos from my look.

[lb='http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/406647e94e6045344.jpg']
thum_406647e94e6045344.jpg
[/lb]

[lb='http://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/main/imagehosting/406647e94e60c4286.jpg']
thum_406647e94e60c4286.jpg
[/lb]

Back