Fluorspar Mine, County Durham

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigLoada

Had a trip here recently with a mate from Flickr, it is a bit different to the 18th and 19th century mines we normally go to. This was worked in the 1970s and therefore doesnt use the classic stone arch style, but uses timbers and girders for support but it is definitely an interesting mine and we had an enjoyable few hours down there.

The water was very clear and just came up to the crotch so it was nice and refreshing! So clean there were frogs living down in the water near the entrance.

Heres a few snaps:

Midlehope1.png

My mate stood under a shaft woth torrential water to help light this and it still didn't work!
Midlehope11.png

Looking inbye, with rails still evident
Midlehope110.png

First collapse to crawl under
Midlehope111.png

My mate having a rest on the shale
Midlehope15.png

Midlehope112.png

Midlehope113.png

Frogs at this bit! Too quick for a photo though.
Midlehope114.png

Midlehope115.png

This shows how the timber supports were utilized
Midlehope12.png

And this is a dry bit
Midlehope13.png

Water was about upper thigh level at this point
Midlehope14.png

Midlehope16.png

Midlehope17.png

Midlehope19.png

Thanks for looking:)

My oh my what a grand place,sort of expedition that gets the heart pounding and the bowels loosened,trouble is if you fart too loud the roof'll probably come in.Is it all on 1 level or does the water hide unexpected surprises?

That sir is one very manky old mine.....looks just like the ones down here in my neck of the woods.........did you have BA or any method of checking the air????
Good stuff though.... even if a little risky heh heh !:)

Very interesting to see the pit props and how they were used. Cracking photos, Lithium. Good stuff. :)

Thanks Foxy, it was the new D80, was terrified of dropping it, ah well, its no longer a mine camera virgin :)

That sir is one very manky old mine.....looks just like the ones down here in my neck of the woods.........did you have BA or any method of checking the air????
Good stuff though.... even if a little risky heh heh !:)

Yes its pretty bad really,but no need for BA in this one mate, its got good airflow, plenty fresh running water bring air through and its only one level, and its been well explored before so the dangers are documented. And I have to say I am a bloody stickler for safety, no mine is worth getting killed for, so I make sure I have the right gear etc and wouldn't go anywhere without it.

Last edited:
Excellent stuff there Lithium. It's the one I couldn't attend. :mad:

It's such a mad mix of colours down there - a bit like an explosion in a paint shop. :mrgreen:

Mud/shale strata, fibrous timbers, roof-falls, testicle chilling water, frogs. How far will you go mate? Madness at it's maddest I think. Well done though. :)

Thanks, its well dodgy in all places:) You can stick your finger right through the timbers, they have turned to fibres.

BLIMEY! :eek: You were going under these timbers? Serious stuff! Got some great pics down there so well done you! :mrgreen:

BLIMEY! :eek: You were going under these timbers? Serious stuff! Got some great pics down there so well done you! :mrgreen:

Thanks Sausage and Sqwasher(sounds like a double act:mrgreen:) but remember that a lot of timbers are precautionary, and could probably be removed without the roof falling. Some of them are under hardrock such as limestone so its not as bad as it looks on the pictures really. It was all assessed though, we didn't just go in without a serious look at everything and we did reach a point where we decided not to proceed which would have meant a climb over the top of timbers and a collapsed section. I aint one of those folks who thrive on danger:)

Last edited:
Good explore, mate. :thup:

Must be about a year since you (and we) got into this mullarky with Sausage and that first trip around sites in SE Northumberland. Pity I've had to put it on ice, but the nipper is only a couple of weeks away now. Priorities, etc. :)

Good explore, mate. :thup:

Must be about a year since you (and we) got into this mullarky with Sausage and that first trip around sites in SE Northumberland. Pity I've had to put it on ice, but the nipper is only a couple of weeks away now. Priorities, etc. :)

No worries mate, glad you're still around. Hope the wife is fine, and hope everything goes well for you:)

Latest posts

Back