Former Willington Power Station Visit... 06/08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cracking stuff Ash

Another cracking report from Ashless......the old pics in that booklet are priceless......hope they get put somwhere safe,like ones that used to be in Pyestock.
regards
Stu

Another cracking report from Ashless......the old pics in that booklet are priceless......hope they get put somwhere safe,like ones that used to be in Pyestock.

Thanks mate! :mrgreen:

Yea I really want to write to someone and tell them to put them in a safer place.....but having found that "someone" how do you broach the fact that you were trespassing to see them in the first place! :lol:

drakelow powerstation

talking about power stations, did anyone take a look at drakelow power station just south of burton on trent before it was demolished?
i was on site when they blew up the 6 cooling towers, and my mate recorded the bang ! awesome it was.
i'v quiet a collection of pictures from when the station was running. also not long after it closed, i managed to take a real good look inside the place on a tour of the plant in 2004. this was a organized tour of the whole plant , powergen took what equipment they wanted from the site to use in other coal fired stations in the country.then the demolition boys moved on site. i think it took only 18 months to clear the site ! it was huge compared to willington station. it was the biggest coal fired plant in europe in its hayday having 3 separate stations on one site. DRAKELOW A DRAKELOW B and the final one to be built DRAKELOW C STATION
A and B stations went in the mid 90's leaving only C station left running until its demise in 2003
powgen plan to construct a new gas fired station on the site but on a much smaller scale that the previous one.
i will post some pictures in time if anyone is interested.
odeon master

We were looking at the hand/footholds half way up and a good way round the towers, would'nt fancy that!

A B&Q 4ft ladder and a rope..
IMG_86371.jpg

The best view ever..
IMG_86591.jpg

You can see for miles !!

Guys if you do go up the tower could you please leave the insitu gear in as me and a friend are going back up soon , cheers..

Of course. Just hoping this wind and rain drops off soon.

Just found this about the powerstation site on the derbyshire council site

"There are extensive archaeological remains all around the site including a Neolithic
Cursus monument part of which is a scheduled ancient monument. Whilst this would not
necessarily preclude development on the site as a whole some areas may need to be
excluded to ensure the archaeological remains are preserved in situ."

Latest posts

Back