Ghost Ads

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
N ice one Nelly shame about the Ferodo one some people got no sense of history.There's some info about the camping one here

http://www.omearacamping.com/article/about_us

Cheers Spike, I was reading up on the letter about the Tottenham shop earlier this evening, but I just can't find out when they closed up in Tottenham and indeed the UK. I do reckon that the O'Meara sign has been restored though mate

:)

Cheers Spike, I was reading up on the letter about the Tottenham shop earlier this evening, but I just can't find out when they closed up in Tottenham and indeed the UK. I do reckon that the O'Meara sign has been restored though mate

:)

If I read the linky right they started around 1959 and sold out to Blacks around 1977

Just off Leytonstone High Road - London

C. Hawkes
Cash Furnisher
A Wide Choice of
New Designs at
Keen Prices
Household Removals

rs2.jpg

rs1.jpg

How the hell I ever missed this one I'll never know.A bit of research and I find that a chap called Alfred Taylor opened a nigh class patisserie and bakers in 1798 in Walcot street in bath making what he claimed were they original Bath Oliver Biscuits.About 100 years ago he opened up in an area of Bath to the west called Newbridge in a building known as the red house which is a now a B and B My guess is that before this happened he had a branch shop on Rivers street which is to the north of the city and very close to all the posh bits{royal crescent circus etc.]

spotted this today while waiting for the lights to change at Quex road Kilburn london.
P6215953.jpg

lucky i stopped at the right place and had the old camera handy :)

Yet another one from Bath,plus there's 2 more spotted that I haven't had chance to photograph yet.I don't know why Bath should have such large numbers of these left.

A close up of the bottom fight hand corner shows the painting firms name.As it's a Bristol outfit I'm wondering if Wills as a Bristol company used them exclusively for sign painting.A quick trawl through the net didn't come up with anything.

Sellick bros contractors Bristol

Last edited:
A couple of ghosties from Enfield

IMG_9657ers.jpg

If I ran the country then doing this would be illegal!!!
IMG_9662ers.jpg

could they be grade II listed frontages?

The whole of central Bath is a conservation area with special by-laws which prohibit you from doing pretty much anything to the presentation of the buildings. You're even limited to a selection of 5 or so "Georgian" colours you're allowed to paint your front door and window frames! I suspect that has a lot to do with it, the ghost signs will only be removed when the buildings are eventually cleaned/sandblasted to remove the exhaust/road dirt.

The whole of central Bath is a conservation area with special by-laws which prohibit you from doing pretty much anything to the presentation of the buildings. You're even limited to a selection of 5 or so "Georgian" colours you're allowed to paint your front door and window frames! I suspect that has a lot to do with it, the ghost signs will only be removed when the buildings are eventually cleaned/sandblasted to remove the exhaust/road dirt.

I ventured into Bath a few months back for an early morning Asda brekkie during a splore weekend, I was taken aback by how stunningly beautiful the place was, maybe it has it's Broardwater Farm, but if it did then I didn't see it

Mind you, The local Asda needs a bit of a rocket, the Cafe opened at 9.30am on a Sunday, but the store couldn't/wouldn't sell me a newspaper until 10am?? WTF, how can I eat my Sunday fry up with out a newspaper??

Anyway, I'm rambling.

Very true Krela but it doesn't explain how all the stuff I've featured is on buildings that have already been cleaned,in fact there very few buildings left that need cleaning.In my younger days I cleaned a few of 'em myself but none with ghost ads on them so whether the lads cleaned round them or what I don't know.My guess is that the paint has soaked into the stone to a certain extent rendering them clean proof though there are a couple I've photographed that are to gloomy to bother to post
including this one on a rare uncleaned building in Walcot street

The state of this building gives a fair idea of how sooty Bath was before the clean up began

P.S. Nelly I think you is losing the plot mate, Bath is far to posh to have an Asda I reckon you was slumming it in Morrisons:)

Yeah, there's no Asda in Bath, only Morrisons, Waitrose and Sainsburys.

It's illegal for supermarkets to sell anything before 10AM due to Sunday trading laws. Cafes are not covered by the same trading laws though. It's nothing to do with the city of Bath itself.

I hadn't considered how porous Bath stone is OS, you could well have hit the nail on the head there. I don't believe there's any preservation orders on them, if anything I suspect the council would prefer them gone.

Yeah, there's no Asda in Bath, only Morrisons, Waitrose and Sainsburys.

It's illegal for supermarkets to sell anything before 10AM due to Sunday trading laws. Cafes are not covered by the same trading laws though. It's nothing to do with the city of Bath itself.

That's what the woman in the shop told me in a very strange farmer type accent ;)

Yup. It was Morrisons, down the hill and on the left as you come in from Browns. Nice brekkie though ;)

Very odd how a ghost ad thread has turned into a rambling about my West Country breakfast/newspaper experience. I'll shut up now ;)

Latest posts

Back