Gomersal Tunnel nr. Cleckheaton, W.Yorks.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kevinfromwyke

Reaction score
I didn't realise until yesterday, that you could walk right up to the (south) portal of this tunnel as there are no paths showing on the O.S. map, but it's easily accessible. So here are the 2 pics I took:

91M5VOpl.jpg

PQZVcRxl.jpg

A previous thread (https://www.derelictplaces.co.uk/ma...417-gomersal-rail-tunnel-december-2010-a.html) was about 8 years ago, so there doesn't seem to be any change.

I've just joined, so hope these are ok

What's the brick pillar in aide of? To stop cars driving up the tunnel?

I thought as above, is it brick? looks decidedly unstable.
Did u not go in & get some more pics? I would suggest that as your next step & get a full report up ;-)

@ocelot397 - the brick structure at the western end was to allow access for inspections after the approach cutting was infilled. But in 1997 Railtrack and Kirklees Council decided to stop any further tipping on the site. Hence it is a brick access shaft that would have been surrounded by earth.

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies. The link I added to the old thread (and the reply from Hughie D) explain the brick pillar. Just inside is a full-width steel fencing, though a couple of bars are forced apart enough to allow access....and I didn't have a torch. The early thread from Jan.2011 shows that someone got some access.

Curious tunnel!
If you're able to get some shots inside these places in the future, then it helps, but appreciate you taking the time to make a report :)

I remember walking through there as a kid. Probably around 1998 or 99. They had fenced it off at the Birstall side then but there was a gap. We used to go through without a torch which was always fun hah. You knew you had got to the halfway point when you came across a massive pile of rubbel to climb over. I might have to see if I can explore it again some time.

I remember walking through there as a kid. Probably around 1998 or 99. They had fenced it off at the Birstall side then but there was a gap. We used to go through without a torch which was always fun hah. You knew you had got to the halfway point when you came across a massive pile of rubbel to climb over. I might have to see if I can explore it again some time.
Thanks Simon. I hadn't realised that you can you get to the tunnel from the Birstall end . I hadn't been any closer than what looks like a newish housing estate then I found this guy's YouTube videos. This one is part of a few he did entitled the Leeds New Line and this particular one covers this area really well.:

Latest posts

Back