Great Yarmouth Winter Gardens & Empire Building

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jet, The last time I went in there was when it was Bourbon Street back in about 93!, Since then it was Zen if I remember. Who knows what lies within!

The Empire, Great Yarmouth - Some possibly interesting info

Hi,

I know the place closed a good few years back, but from what I remember myself that place has had an interesting few uses on the ground floor.

Iniitally, when we first visited, the place in question was the Ripleys Believe it or not Museum. The one ouytside Blackpool, now at that time, the place looked cheaply converted basically. When you went in, I think you did a bit on the ground floor before heading up to the first floor, and heading down and around and over the original stage and I suspect a large part of the former seating area. In addition a kids play area was also put in part of what may well have been the former seating area.

Around 5-10 years later the next time we visited, it had been converted into what was an absoutely crazy indoor crazy golf. At that point from what I remember it was very difficult or impossible to see the original remebelance of the theathre, during this time I believe the upstairs cinema remained. I think that it did not help in a large respect for the upstairs is the complete lack of disabled access and the very limited access downstairs duye to the age of the building.

The area itself seems to have been rather quiet on both occassions so I have a feeling a major downfall of that building and possibly the Winter Garderns is the lack of visitors. Looking on Trripadvisor, a lot of people think it's gone down hill over the last 10-15 years and in my opinion since I was last there, the place did feel run down, so no wonder the Winter Garderns had problems from 2008. The theathre years before that I believe but it's the building layout which I don't think helped the attractions in that building survive and even after it's use as other attractions after the theathre I don't think went well due to it's poor location and access. Now the theathre is empty, and the recession I do believe that will remain shut for the long term.

Last edited:
I had a look around these buildings last Monday, the Empire has padlocked internal doors and bricked up doorways, on the exteriorof the building.
The Winter Gardens is covered in CCTV.
Shame as I also would love to see inside The Empire, a very impressive looking building!
:)

Seen many a film in the empire.The winter gardens used to be a lovely building,but Yarmouth council being as they are,they would much rather house,feed,cloth and look after the thousands of Eastern European scroungers that have arrived here,instead of saving Yarmouths heritage....sorry if that offends anyone but it is absolutely true....they spend thousands on 'transport' for these sorts to go to job interviews,even buying them bloody cars!!! Prioritising them on housing lists and giving out 'emergency' grants so they can buy themselves designer clothes and iphones.
very true words spoken indeed.

Around 5-10 years later the next time we visited, it had been converted into what was an absoutely crazy indoor crazy golf. At that point from what I remember it was very difficult or impossible to see the original remebelance of the theathre, during this time I believe the upstairs cinema remained. I think that it did not help in a large respect for the upstairs is the complete lack of disabled access and the very limited access downstairs duye to the age of the building.

Isn't the indoor golf place the windmill theater building a little further down the prom.
I can remember it as Zen Nightclub.

I can remember as a little kid just getting into dance music hearing Dave Pearce djing at the winter gardens on his dance anthem tours outside and place was buzzing. Bass shaking the glass!

hi all,i was a doorman at bourbon st cum zen nightclub for many years.great doorteam and lovely building inside owned by a well known local businessman.regular 2000 in on fri sat.all a memory now though.but yes it really is full of super stuff,loads of rooms and cinema stuff laying around.you have 2 downstairs areas,the main level and then the upper dancefloor at rear of club

Back