Groverake Mine - Rake Level

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coal Cutter

Reaction score
Well its been a long time since I did a reoport on here, so long I hardly know any memebers on here now! Did a trip to Groverake recently, that wonderful lead mine in Weardale, County Durham which was later mined for fluorspar by Blanchland Fluor Mines Ltd during the second world war and then by British Steel.

We explored the Rake level, an old level which was re-driven by British Steel to reach the upper levels of spar.

There is a fall about 15 feet in from the entrance whcih is just about squeezable if you aint a big lad. Then follows waist deep water for about 10 minutes walking before hitting the dry bits. Lots of great modern artefacts are to be seen including a lvely gantry where a hauler was situated for pulling tubs up the drift. There is also a 120 ft ladder down to lower workings but we didnt have the rope gear this day and withoput a lifeline and SRT kit it would have been stupid to try it.

Anyway, heres a few snaps. Its worth a trip as most folk know the surface features such as the wonderful headgear but the Rake level is pretty much ignored for some unknown reason. Cheers!

DSC_0011.png

DSC_0002.png

Classic old 1970s flask!!
DSC_0006.png

Passing Loop for loco's:
DSC_0019.png

Gantry for hauler pulling tubs up drift:
DSC_0059.png

Looking towards gantry:
DSC_0052.png

DSC_0047.png

Hauler signals:
DSC_0034.png

Loco crossing point
DSC_0030.png

Good old "flexiduct" ventilation bagging:
DSC_0067.png

Cheers for looking :)

Nice I meant to ask you if on the road from slaley to stanhope there's an old mine as I'm sure I seen minish surface structures

Excellent pics my friend. :) We wanted to have a look in here when we visited last year, but had the little one with us, so said we'd go back another time. Seeing these pics now, I definitely want to go back.

Cheers matey. :)

:) Sal

ps, there's still loads of us oldies still here. :)

Well done on that report. Never been in mine but the photo's make me feel dank and cold looking at them. Great photo's though. :)

Last edited:
Good stuff. It's good to see the site getting a proper explore :mrgreen:

Nice I meant to ask you if on the road from slaley to stanhope there's an old mine as I'm sure I seen minish surface structures

Plenty around Blanchland, Townfield, etc. But I have a feeling you could be referring to THIS?

We (me and my Urbex mate) are over here quite often as blanchland (moor) has a couple of good green lanes that we follow in our 4x4s (our other hobby).

I've been to GR so many times it's become boring but the shots you've posted show an aspect that I've never seen before - my mate is up for exploring the adits but I don't do well with enclosed spaces (especially ones underground, and especially ones where the roof has the ability to collapse in and entomb you, honestly I don't know if I'll ever get into a mine to get shots like you've got.

The bit with the waist deep water / mud - is that down the entrance with the huge hydraulic ram thing for opening the gates? Or was it along the entrance that has the date engraved stone set into the wall behind the headstock? To my untrained eye the entrance that sloped downwards was blocked after a 90/100 feet by a collapse, which you can see the indentation in the land above it. There's also the questionable ladders going down into the shaft that's been sunk. to the east of the headstock (you know the one that's securely covered by that bit of rotton chipboard...)

Cool pics mate thanks for sharing those, my mate

The bit with the waist deep water / mud - is that down the entrance with the huge hydraulic ram thing for opening the gates? Or was it along the entrance that has the date engraved stone set into the wall behind the headstock? To my untrained eye the entrance that sloped downwards was blocked after a 90/100 feet by a collapse, which you can see the indentation in the land above it. There's also the questionable ladders going down into the shaft that's been sunk. to the east of the headstock (you know the one that's securely covered by that bit of rotton chipboard...)

Cool pics mate thanks for sharing those, my mate

Hi mate... this explore was via the old Rake Level which is the one with the datestone. The adit with the hydraulic gate is the more modern Firestone incline. That is flooded out but the lower levels can be reached via a ladderway in the Rake Level.

As for the shaft outside which is boarded that you mentioned, that only goes a hundred or so feet and is flooded.

Latest posts

Back