Haddon Hall Hotel / Haddon Grove Hydropathic - Dec 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use to live in this place when it was appartments, I can see my old windows in a couple of the pics. I wonderred what it would look like now, a good 10 (if not more) years on. The place was shut rather suddenly by the fire safety inspector and everyone evicted on the spot without the opportunity to move their belongings out, those out at work etc came home to a locked and screwed shut front door. The reason for closure was because it was a fire hazard...

Its been for sale ever since, and now it burns down, I would be questioning the owners without a doubt, they were horrible people.

Its a shame that no one will get chance to go in there again, there was something in my flat that I would be interested to see if was still there...

Last edited:
The chequered history of a once magnificent building: http://www.buxtonadvertiser.co.uk/news/The-chequered-history-of-a.6125500.jp

"THE Haddon Hall Hotel has been used for a variety of purposes over the years.
The foundation stone for the building was laid on August 22, 1888 by Richard Freckingham and the Haddon Hall Hydro was opened in 1903.

The Central Electricity Generating Board later bought the building and it was used by them as a National Training Centre for several years. During this time it was known as Electricity Hall.

In September 1984 Rosanne Williams' family bought Haddon Hall and it was operated by them as a hotel until 1995. The building was later converted into flats. It was closed down by Derbyshire Fire and Rescue Service in June 1999 on safety grounds. High Peak Borough Council's Environmental Health Officer had raised concerns that the apartments were at risk from fire because of a build-up of combustible material and a faulty fire alarm and these concerns as well as a fire at the premises led to the residents being evicted." By Louise Bellicoso - Buxton Advertiser

Cheers ms. :)

Any more news on the 47 year old man who was bailed and in court on monday? there's nothing else about him in the papers. :(

I'm still suspicious of how it started, in the stairwell. Too many buildings that are up for sale for year to be converted suddenly have mysterious fires, then get demolished, and new buildings put up in their place. Happens far too often. :(

:) Sal

What a shame, looks as though fire damage has been confined to the upper floor and roofspace but there will be a lot of water damage to the rest of that section of the building sadly.

Does anyone know how much it was for sale for?

SC

Back