Haringey Council Control Nuclear Bunker, London 2021

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riskybex

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Built below a 1950s Grade II listed Civic Centre which is currently empty and awaiting to be refurbished.

The bunker below the Civic Centre no longer remains and has been stripped back to bare brick walls in recent years.

Haringey_Civic_Centre.jpeg

Photo of the Civic Centre credit Google Images.

DSC_5664.jpg

Map Room
DSC_5659.jpg

DSC_5671.jpg

DSC_5676.jpg

DSC_5680.jpg

DSC_5689.jpg

Bunker corridor
DSC_5695.jpg

Escape Tunnel to Trinity Road from the bunker.
IMG_20240318_052252.jpg

Outside
DSC_7558 (1).jpg

Not much remained of the plant except the original lister generator.
DSC_7550 (1).jpg

Service tunnel which would have once carried Telecom cables from nearby telephone exchange to the bunker underground.
DSC_7553.jpg

Last edited:
At least the council workers had somewhere to go to that would have taken less than the famous four minutes to reach sanctuary and lock themselves in!

I think it is shameful how councillors thought it was ok to spend vast sums of public money on nuclear bunkers for themselves. Not being funny, but if an atom bomb goes off the last people worth saving are councillors...

On a separate note, wonder who vandalised the generator?? The break in the casting is fresh..

john..

I think it is shameful how councillors thought it was ok to spend vast sums of public money on nuclear bunkers for themselves. Not being funny, but if an atom bomb goes off the last people worth saving are councillors...

On a separate note, wonder who vandalised the generator?? The break in the casting is fresh..

john..
The building is undergoing refurbishment and the Civic Centre/Bunker have both been stripped back to bare walls. The bunker will probably become something else once work is completed as all the maps etc are gone so I doubt it was vandalism more like workers stripping the building/bunker out

The council are set to move back in when construction work has completed

The building is undergoing refurbishment and the Civic Centre/Bunker have both been stripped back to bare walls. The bunker will probably become something else once work is completed as all the maps etc are gone so I doubt it was vandalism more like workers stripping the building/bunker out

The council are set to move back in when construction work has completed
If they choose to work underground perhaps they will be emulating the planning department that wanted to bulldoze Arthur Dent's house in The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Universe.

“But the plans were on display…”​

“On display? I eventually had to go down to the cellar to find them.”​

“That’s the display department.”​

“With a flashlight.”​

“Ah, well, the lights had probably gone.”​

“So had the stairs.”​

“But look, you found the notice, didn’t you?”​

“Yes,” said Arthur, “yes I did. It was on display in the bottom of a locked filing cabinet stuck in a disused lavatory with a sign on the door saying ‘Beware of the Leopard.”​

Last edited:
Back