Helmshore Park Tunnels, Lancs - Oct 08

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CHEWY

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Went to investigate some old tunnels in our local park i got told about recently.
I never knew they existed before, and i've lived in the area for 38years :D

The 2 tunnels run parallel to each other.

I think they could be water outlets for the old mill, then ran into a lake where the park is located now.
Very stonky in places, and averaged about 3foot in height throughout ( went as low as 18inches in one part),
except the entrance part - that went to about 10foot high.
Plenty of spiders were inside, and freshwater shrimpy things in the water.

i didn't get to any of the ends due to time, but will find out where it comes from / leads to proper another day. :lol:

A Few Pics

tun.jpg

tun1.jpg

tun2.jpg

tun3.jpg

tun4.jpg

tun5.jpg

tun6.jpg

tun7.jpg

tun8.jpg

Thanks Mal
It was nicely built for such a small tunnel. :)
Only one minor collapse in what i saw. (pic 4)

That was probably due to a water monitoring device installed by the river not long ago.
( was about the same area ) :mad:

Very interesting. How old do you think it is?

Thanks Foxy :lol:
the spider web pic was at the lowest point.

not sure about age Liam :(
i'll have a guess at 1850ish.

the tunnels seemed to be pretty level, but outside it's a hill that gets higher.
must've took some digging :confused:

Very interesting. They look similar to the northern lead mines. I wonder if they were meant to be that height or if as sometimes happens in mines, the sides have bulged, caved in, thus raising the floor level , as happened in Smallcleugh (if anyones ever been through the Ten Crawls they'll know what I mean!)
Classic archwork though, I love to see drystone work like that.

Last edited:
Hmm.. not sure Lithium.

i think they are original height still.
although you can't see it on the last pic, but the river was directly behind me through a square hole.
you can see a tunnel to the left and right of me.
the river bed and tunnels were all at the same height (river is only ankle deep here) :confused:

i'm itching to get back through now, and see where they come from / go to.
i've got a friend looking at the nearby river bank for any more evidence right now :lol:

Culd be right there mate, come to think of oit, the floor looks a bit good for it to have suffered collapsed walls. I love a mystery like this, hope you can find out what is!

I'm hoping to find out this weekend if not flooded out. :)

My mate went down to the tunnels last night to try and find anything in the bank that looked like an exit.

The only thing he found was a manhole cover in a seating area.
The manhole and seating area are right next to the river, and the tunnels went in the same direction.

Why have a manhole in a disused tunnel that's barely 3foot high?

The quest continues :lol::mrgreen:

I love that stonework, picture 5 is particularly spooky, good luck finding out the score!

Not looking good at the moment DN..

the river is high, and they'll be flooded :(
i'm not giving up on them though.
found at the nearby textile museum (up river 1/2 a mile) had 3 tunnels for the water wheels.
one of these tunnels still gets used for the water wheel display when the museum is open, which leaves 2 redundant tunnels.
doubt they would've built run offs that long though :confused:

Yeah, thats gotta be some mystery, Id love to investigate and find out where they went! Its gonna be a dirty job but someone's gotta do it, eh?!!
Ive got a situation similar, my old secondary school was rumoured to have been a hospital during the war. The legend is that there were tunnels leading down to the river thames for the casualties to be brought along. Its well over a mile from the river though. I know the doorway at the school where the tunnels were supposed to come out but Ive been trying the other end. Discovered an underground, vaulted chamber last time I was there though. Now Ive just gotta grow some balls and jump in!

Last edited:
Get it done :lol:

i got my Mum to get me waders and knee pads for my birthday for this.
she gave me a funny look :mrgreen:

here's a cack map of so far..

map2.jpg

the entrance is by the river, then you have 2 tunnels left and right.

here's another map..

map.jpg

yellow = the textile museum
green = where one mill was (no water wheel was here)
blue = another mill (this is way up the hill from the river)
red = tunnel entrance

nothing fits to what the tunnels are for :confused:

You should set up your own mapping website Chewy, very detailed, lol! That seems odd, and all the more interesting! Looking at the distance, how have you not got a bad back?!

i barely got out of the red dot last visit, i'll probably be in A&E next visit with backness crampiness syndrome :lol:

they seemed to lead to the houses just above the red dot on the map, but they'll be more twists and turns further on than what i got.

Latest posts

Back