Holdings Country Pottery - Oswaldtwistle, Lancashire - Apr 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyrian

Old but not obsolete
Reaction score
Don't know if this comes under fully 'Industrial'. If it's not factory-y enough then maybe move it to Misc? It was definitely a large commercial space. But there were a lot of residential-type-items lying around such as a piano, clothing, books, etc.

HISTORY: Holdings Country Pottery was founded circa 1898 on a large clay deposit. It used its own clay, which was dug, blended, washed and processed for the potters wheel. The factory opened its doors to visitors so that they could see the craftsmen creating Waldian Ware in the traditional way but that didn't stop it's eventual closure. The family tradition was started by James Holding in 1842 a mile or so from the present site. The Pottery then proceeded to stay within the family as generations passed and took over management of the factory. I don't know when the place became abandoned but judging by the dates on some newspapers and school books it could be as much as 20 years which makes the condition of the place quite remarkable. We've seen 5 year old places completely trashed.

EXPLORE: Curious one as there were 'Private Land' signs all over the entrance road and someone had placed a tarmac-ed driveway across the 'Public Footpath' although the green arrow sign had been left pointing towards their gate. I think the owner panicked because he came out pretty quick as we stood there staring at the sign and his driveway back and forth. He told us we were more than welcome to walk through his driveway. (Even though he had electric gates at either end that had to be opened and closed!)

There were fences up around the pottery land area but one section was damaged so easy access. However, when we tried to get out someone had been and repaired the fence within the hour or so we'd been exploring. We got out. But no-one was there to confront us about being in there and the driveway owner guy said it had nothing to do with him. Do ghosts fix fences?

This sign will be familiar for those that have been or seen other reports on the place:

namesign.jpg

potterylivinroom.jpg

potterykitchen.jpg

bookclosed.jpg

We'd gone there for the pottery part so were a bit on edge about all the personal items that had just been left. If we didn't already know it was long abandoned and seen other reports, we could easily have started panicking ourselves about it still being in use.

photo.jpg

Some bits really showed the age of the place though and how long it had been left empty:

suitcase.jpg

piano.jpg

I found this little card way more interesting than anyone else I've shown it to. It's a legit old fashioned 'credit card'! Well, I thought it was amazing ....

creditcard.jpg

The pottery machinery section had hundreds of pots that were never sold and dozens more trays of moulds. Again looks like they just walked away.

potsfloor.jpg

potterymachine.jpg

Not much use in the centre of the building:

risksign.jpg

Cheeriest looking abandoned machine I've ever seen:

smileyunit.jpg

tywriter.jpg

Even the outside barns are still completely full of stuff.

potterybarn.jpg

This is the first time I've seen a place so heavily reported on yet no signs of vandalism. It was really nice to see. Pity they can't all be like that.

Nicely done, good description -you captured it well but you can relax more now you are here.
Hi Roderick. Which part seems un-relaxed? Am I waffling a bit in descriptions? Or do you mean the bit about worrying which section this needs to be in?

Back