Imperial Distillery, Carron, April 2009

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Considering the amount of brass & copper fittings there it's lucky that the scrappers haven't paid a visit, though aluminium snow poles in the Highlands are something that can be nabbed for the scrap value.

Sadly it has been targetted, but limited only to a few copper pipes. It was tightly secured after that.

Archaic industrial light switches, made by Walsall - they still worked the year before last!
Yes, I remember that, and I seem to recall being quite concerned when you operated them. ;)

Pernod Ricard may eventually re-open Imperial, but as it's spent twice as long out of production than working, over its life, the chances are probably slim. Looking at Bryag's pics, it looks like the lyne arms have been uncoupled (from top of the stills) … not sure if they were like that at the end of '07 when we originally visited??

Yes, I remember that, and I seem to recall being quite concerned when you operated them. ;)

Pernod Ricard may eventually re-open Imperial, but as it's spent twice as long out of production than working, over its life, the chances are probably slim. Looking at Bryag's pics, it looks like the lyne arms have been uncoupled (from top of the stills) … not sure if they were like that at the end of '07 when we originally visited??

Here is a photo of all four stills
Imperialsize0112.jpg

The two to the left are both connected to the condensers, and have their heating pipes intact; the two to the right are disconnected at the top of the pipe, and the heating pipes have been dismantled and removed. There is no evidence in the areas we were able to access of the dismantled components :mad:

There is no evidence in the areas we were able to access of the dismantled components :mad:
Let's hope the inevitable hasn't happened; I was recently exploring down south and surprised a pikey armed with a junior hacksaw, busily hacking away at the windings of a huge electric motor – at 6am. Seems the credit crunch hasn't dulled their appetite for copper.

It looks like they were disconnected on my first visit.

P5210072.jpg

I miss the hatches on the stills, I bet they were flung into the back of a Mk3 Transit tipper.

Snap (almost:))

Imperialsize0112.jpg

Actually, when you put them together, very little has changed. The absence of the charging cock and discharge cock(and associated pipework) from the second still appear to be the only differences. The discharge cock(snigger:p) from the first still is now lying on the floor of the loading bay. The only other major differences to our last visit is the fact that more of the place is better secured. That, from a preservation point of view, can only be a good thing:)

Let's hope the inevitable hasn't happened; I was recently exploring down south and surprised a pikey armed with a junior hacksaw, busily hacking away at the windings of a huge electric motor – at 6am. Seems the credit crunch hasn't dulled their appetite for copper.

Has the price of copper gone down much?

I know that the demand for (& prices of) scrap steel has dropped in recent months.

Copper prices are still very high. Although the demand for steel has dropped massively recently, hence the price has plummeted, copper is very much at a premium.

That wide angle adapter I had on my old camera was dire!

What were you shooting with in those days, Lost?

Last edited:
Nice pics all! What a great place! Sqwasher recorded that railway walks programme and pointed the place out to me. The whole area looks good, your lucky to get to explore these places! I do like the look of exploring a distillery but haven't had the chance, yet!:cry: What a pity that copper is still holding it's value! :mad:

Latest posts

Back