Jugholes Lead Mine, Matlock, Derbyshire, May 2022

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughieD

Super Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
1. The History
Evidence at the site suggests that two main phases of mining activity took place in the Lower Series. The first phase was the early mining of lead, both from lead-rich sediments in the floor and mineralised hydrothermal pipe deposits in pockets on the walls. This early phase of mining dates from 1629 (Ford and Rieuwerts 2000) when “Noon Nick” Vein, on which Jugholes is situated, was being worked. This activity resulted in a number of large phreatic chambers connected by smaller mined passages. The second more recent phase of mining was for Fluorspar in the early and mid-20th Century. This accounts for the workings and artifacts around the 5th Water Cavern, including the propped galleries and tubs and rails. However evidence of earlier working is all around, and the adit and adit shaft are clearly from one of these earlier periods.

2. The Explore
Had this one of my radar for a while. With @Bikin Glynn up for a meet up and some underground action, we met up in the layby close to the entrance and set off to try and find the entrance. We soon found the entrance to the lower series. And after Bikin had popped back to the car to get a Derbyshire spanner, we were in. The mine itself is as interesting as it is expansive. It is part mine part cave and after the initial drive that opens up into a cavern, it’s a tortuous squeeze to get up to the upper series. To be honest it’s more the realms of cavers and potholers, so we soon turned back and the through-trip sadly alluded us. Instead, we headed back up the hill and entered the upper workings that way. These were no less impressive. There’s a lot of info out there.

From the map of the cave/mine system below, you can see that we only scratched the surface of this place:

So a revisit most definitely in order at some point.

3. The Pictures

Here’s out gateway into the lower workings:

Halfway in:

And we’re in!

The stacked stone arch is really photogenic:

Along the adit we go:

Loving this old wagon:

Looking up the shaft entrance:

And on to the 5th Water Chamber:

This old wagon at the opening to the 5th water chamber is impressive:

Old wagon chassis:

More mining detritus rusting away: