Leeds Waterloo lake culvert and overflow

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phill.d

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Leeds Roundhay park tunnels and waterfall.

Roundhay park is a well known Leeds attraction and holds the massive Waterloo lake. The area was heavily quarried by the Kirkstall monks in the 12th century. This now forms the man made lake. A new overflow system was built in the 1990's. The lake was drained with much talk of sunken paddle steamers, dumped WW1 munitions and giant pike to be found. When the lake was emptied it put paid to these rumours. There was bugger all in there. The overflow isn't a massive network of tunnels. It comprises short brick lined and concrete R.C.P's. It would be an excellent first time explore for somebody wanting a bit of practice at this type of thing. On with the piccies.
wyke.jpg

The entrance to the system. A choice of tunnel or concrete box section first.
oil.jpg

You can see the old bridge when the road above was a narrow lane.
tu12.jpg

Nice brick section next.
blue.jpg

tu3.jpg

tun1.jpg

tu2.jpg

A smaller R.C.P runs towards the lake on the left.
hell.jpg

lookingin.jpg

It's only a boring concrete section but you can have a bit of fun with the torches in there.
Welcome-2.jpg

Vortex.jpg

Drainboy.jpg

Tunne.jpg

There's only so much you can do in there so it's on to the lake overflow.
utop.jpg

Urbanjungleoutthere.jpg

tu9.jpg

tu10.jpg

The wall of faith. There's a LOT of water behind there
tu11.jpg

A more familiar view from above.

The tunnel and R.C.P are a nice relaxed explore. The overflow is in a public park and easily visible.

There's a load more pics here http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendID=265602590&blogID=398532326

Last edited:
Nice explore mate, and some cracking photographs, particularly the concrete pipe ones. Apparently West Yorkshire police had an officer on duty all night when the lake was drained in case anyone waded out into the mud, found a weapon that had been submerged for eighty years and got it working. (I don't think anyone did)
Some of the colours look like it is Autumn on Pic 14 and 15 with the sunlight. Good work.:)

Nice explore mate, and some cracking photographs, particularly the concrete pipe ones. Apparently West Yorkshire police had an officer on duty all night when the lake was drained in case anyone waded out into the mud, found a weapon that had been submerged for eighty years and got it working. (I don't think anyone did)
Some of the colours look like it is Autumn on Pic 14 and 15 with the sunlight. Good work.:)
Hi mate. Yes I recall that story about the police guarding the lake. I think the stemer was called the Maid of Athens. Most of the shots are from a recent nocturnal visit. I've used a few day light shots from an earlier visit as the cloud wasn't playing ball.

I remember when they re-did the overflow and culvert in the early 90's or was it the late 80's? Anyway the overflow was too large and the lake didnt fill up properly for a good while.

It was a real shame, as I climbed the waterfall that was there a couple of times, it was a sort of dare to do it, many wouldn't, as it was so dangerous. It was green with lichen and slime, one false move and it was casualty. :sick:

Really cool. Leeds is quite a nice little draining spot, having the draining Goliath that is Bradford next door is also a bonus. :) I've seen pics from here previously, were they yours also? Or where they D_D_T and Mike's? It was a while ago, a good few months back now. Great pics btw, I love seeing varied stages of construction, like the incorporated bridge.

JD

Thanks guys. The Bradford pics were Little Mikes Jon. I've still to do that one yet. It's funny because you walk over the Bradford beck if you do the Bradford Odeon. It goes right underneath and you can hear it. I always get a bad feeling with that one. I know 1 lad got caught out down there and drowned in the 70's. I know this can happen in any drain, but when it's happened in one your thinking of doing it kinda makes you think a bit more.

I've seen pics from here previously, were they yours also?
RikJ has put pictures of the waterloo lake overflow up before, it been on my todo list forever, but as usual not got done.

A nice set of pictures there phill.

Last edited:
Great set of photos! :smile:

Me fave is the first lake overflow shot -loving the light set-up, and the water looks like it turns into molten lava! Nice explore Phil.

Lb :wcool:

Hi phil,
Nice photographs. Despite living in Leeds for many years, I've only been to Roundhay Park a handful of times. I should get back there and have a look at the drain.
Have you ever thought about about what is downstream from Roundhay Park? Looking at my A to Z of West Yorkshire, I noticed that the stream goes through 3 underground sections. The longest, and last, is the section is at Killingbeck, where it goes under York Road and comes out at Selby Road. I haven't checked out any of these sections, so I don't know if they are do-able.

If you're thinking about doing the Macro drain in Bradford, I wouldn't mind having a go. I was born in Bradford and lived there as a kid, but I didn't know it existed until earlier this year

Hi Ultrix. I know the first covered section near Easterly road isn't worth looking at. The longest bit near Killingbeck has bars I've heard. Obviously the local chav problem has influenced this. But the Bradford trip sounds interesting yeah!!

oooooooooooooooh i love these pics. Love all the different sections with stone, brick and concrete, excellent find. I really, really do need to get to Leeds sometime soon and have a look at these. Mendo!! we need to go here :D

Cheers,

:) Sal

ooooooooooooooooh didn't realise Waterloo Park used to have a lido, till i saw the pic of it on your myspace blog, Whereabouts on the park was it situated and has the pool itself been demolished then now?

Loads of lido's have now gone, some in recent years. Nottingham used to have 3 of them, now they have none. such a shame.

Cheers,

:) Sal

nice shots as usual, the circular tunnels and torches fun always rock. Sometime I'll get to try this.

Latest posts

Back