M25 outer ring - A1 to M11.

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you go through Brookfield via Cuffley you can get to the pillbox sat over the north side of the golf course. Along the same trail you will get to the other which is sat in the corner of the field. This then takes you up to the rear of the farm where the 28 is that you photographed. Also on the farm is an old Anderson shelter. Nice trek. Get up above the housing estate in Cuffley. These are a bitch to get too though. Have fun and love the report.

Thank you for the infomation. I definatly going to go back for the ones ive missed. Do you know if the Anderson shelter is still there? I spent a while talking to the landowners who said they thought it had gone.

Moving on past a couple that i plan to return to when i get a chance we come to Pillbox Type 22 S000577 which is fenced in as its right next to a railway line:
rsz_4994.jpg

rsz__dsc4995.jpg

Next to this is Anti Tank Block S0012138:
rsz_4993.jpg

I then went looking for Type 27 S0012139 and the anti tank hairpin but the area is so overgrown. I was also unable to locate the anti tank block nearby.

We then move along to Anti Tank Hairpin S0002393 which i missed the first time and had to ask some locals, the description of a concrete block put me in the right spot:
rsz_4987.jpg

rsz__dsc4990.jpg

rsz__dsc4988.jpg

rsz_1_dsc4989.jpg

Is this part of it?
rsz__dsc4992.jpg

Moving along i went looking for the Type 27 in the field nearby but i was unable to get to it. Some locals confirmed it is still there.

Then we come to another Type 27 without a number on a back lane, there was no internal acsess sadly:
rsz_498.jpg

Just along the track we come to another Type 27 and anti Tank block without a number, internal acsess was granted by a very freindly land owner:
rsz__dsc4975.jpg

rsz__dsc4976.jpg

rsz__dsc4978.jpg

rsz__dsc4979.jpg

Rear embasure:
rsz__dsc4980.jpg

rsz__dsc4981.jpg

rsz__dsc4982.jpg

rsz__dsc4984.jpg

Moving down the lane south we come to another Type 27 with no number, again no acsess was possible:
rsz_4986.jpg

Then we come to the Anti Tank Block in Bumbles Green, theres loads here but alot are hidden, i counted 20 but there must be more:
rsz_4964.jpg

rsz__dsc4973.jpg

rsz__dsc4972.jpg

rsz__dsc4968.jpg

rsz__dsc4966.jpg

rsz__dsc4965.jpg

I left out the few in the park area between these and the M11, i will go back for these.

Thank you for the infomation. I definatly going to go back for the ones ive missed. Do you know if the Anderson shelter is still there? I spent a while talking to the landowners who said they thought it had gone.

It's still there. If you get back to the line of painted AT blocks then head over to the right it is sat in the field close to the back of one of the storage sheds. It is fairly dilapidated but that adds the interest. This time of year it might not be visible enough to photograph as it was in rough ground but give it a go.

It's still there. If you get back to the line of painted AT blocks then head over to the right it is sat in the field close to the back of one of the storage sheds. It is fairly dilapidated but that adds the interest. This time of year it might not be visible enough to photograph as it was in rough ground but give it a go.

I will give it a go next time.

If you locate that MG emplacement let me know exactly where is is mate as i have been up there so many times and failed to find it.

The MG emplacement? is this the one listed as being on tanfield stud farm in cheshunt?

if so theres a bit of confusion where info on this is concerned, the DOB entry shows a pic of the bofors tower at waltham abbey, there was a unusual low lying pillbox type structure on the farm at one time, it was demolished when the modern housing development was biult there, however if you drive up the entrance road and park opposite the yard on the right, in front of you is a footpath, start to walk down it and keep looking at the field on the left, there is some concrete showing wich seems to be in the shape of a gun pit.

could this be the ilusive MG emplacement.
you can just make out the shape in the google earth screengrab below
googlecheshunt.png

This is what used to be at tanfield before it was developed
http://www.heritagegateway.org.uk/Gateway/Results_Single.aspx?uid=MHT1909&resourceID=1008

no worries, I did not go into the field and take any pics of the exposed concrete as at the time of my visit, there was a mare and fowl in there, and I did not fancy getting my arse kicked by an angry mummy horse :)

no worries, I did not go into the field and take any pics of the exposed concrete as at the time of my visit, there was a mare and fowl in there, and I did not fancy getting my arse kicked by an angry mummy horse :)

Hehe i have a plan here in the form of a permission visit with the landowner whos keen to learn more.

I made a return visit yeserday but the landowner was not about but speeking to someone else who lives there they think the MG emplacement has gone but the other two pillboxes nearby are still there. Another trip out i feel is needed.

I made it over the field this time to Anti Tank Block S0016689 and Type 22 S0005065 with help and permission from a very freindly and helpfull land owner who had even cleared away all the brambles for me, the overlay is incorrect as these are next to each other in the position of the AT blocks. I can confirm there are three blocks laying the other side of the pillbox as the database reports:
rsz_12-9.jpg

rsz_5-10.jpg

rsz_4-9.jpg

rsz_1-9.jpg

rsz_3-10.jpg

And the three blocks on the far side:
rsz_6-12.jpg

I had a quick look into the field for the Anti Tank blocks S0005063 but i coulndt see them and the light was fading fast.

Moving back up the road we come to Type 22 S0005054 again acsessed with permission of some lovely land owners:
rsz_10-8.jpg

rsz_14-7.jpg

rsz_211-1.jpg

rsz_12-10.jpg

rsz_13-8.jpg

Those AT blocks you were looking for were pretty hidden initially as you cross the next field. Sat in the line of the hedges but if you get there next time there is a line of them that extend out into the open. The brick shuttering on the blocks next to S0005062 are something i have not come across since. The internals on the pillboxes you visited are all tidy.

if they have no slots which would make them roadblock pattern blocks those blocks on the far side look like narrower versions of Sussex pattern ATBs which were often incorrectly described as AT Coffins in the DoB - they seem to be a little lost :)

nice camouflaged roof profile on the type 22 to break up the straight lines ... in return for being accommodating someone should offer some gentle advice about contemporary field guns with the owner... although I guess you'd have to be a certain type of landscape gardener to include a 25 pdr in a garden scheme :)

if they have no slots which would make them roadblock pattern blocks those blocks on the far side look like narrower versions of Sussex pattern ATBs which were often incorrectly described as AT Coffins in the DoB - they seem to be a little lost :)

nice camouflaged roof profile on the type 22 to break up the straight lines ... in return for being accommodating someone should offer some gentle advice about contemporary field guns with the owner... although I guess you'd have to be a certain type of landscape gardener to include a 25 pdr in a garden scheme :)

Trust me i did pull the land owners leg about the choice of gun for that pillbox and we had a good laugh about it. Aparently they keep it in very good order since they moved in after having to clear it and i think it looks rather nice in their pristine garden overlooking the lake.

Damn right, if I ever have a garden big enough I'm having a T24 pillbox, a Bofors and a 3.5" AA gun in it.

Latest posts

Back