Mid Wales Hospital - my first visit!

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's actually a fair old diversion! Shame it ain't what it used to be, numerous buildings have been demolished since my ageing report, and in the last few months to more buildings have been subject to two arson attacks. Although having spoken to site security a few times I get the impression that both have been carried out by the owners on some of the asbestos based buildings in an ill thought out attempt to reduce demo and removal bills. Sad times.

Clearly the mentality of the owners is quite apparent in using arson as a technique of destroying an asbestos building!

4294137138_702a9b99e1_o.jpg

You sure this is mid wales asylum? it looks like the boys village in aberthaw (not a criticism, just a heads up)

heres one I took of the same building...

IMG_0105.jpg

Last edited:
You sure this is mid wales asylum? it looks like the boys village in aberthaw (not a criticism, just a heads up)

Aye, that it was. As per my original message:
... I'd like to share one picture from this place, the Mid Wales Hospital, and one picture from St. Athan Boys Village, which we also visited on this mission ...
The other pictures from the boys village were OK, but I didn't think they were worth posting in their entirety. (still visible here though) ;)

Cheers,
m.

Missed this until now. Sad to see its condition but good to see some great pics of the place. I love that hall shot! :mrgreen:

Mate, stunning shots, some of the best asylum shot's I've seen. I have a real thing for nuthouses as well so this was an awesome report, both for the detail and the excellent pictures.

Really like your site too :)

Really like your site too :)

Cheers Tom, that's what I like to hear! I've put a lot of effort in and am really pleased with the way that photos can be viewed full-screen at native resolution, just hope it's obvious in the UI that the option is there.

I'll be uploading more photos to the site soon (got over 120,000 waiting to be sorted!) so if you want to know when they go up and you're on Facebook do a search for "muppix.net" and become a fan.

Right, enough of the blatant plugging - sorry. :p

m.

Great pictures, place is in a very bad state of affairs now. Rumours are someone in the town has put in a £150'000 bid for the place. Not sure what you could salvage other than admin, some of the workshops/boilerhouse and chapel. The rest is too far gone.

You've got a shot of one of the old padded cells btw, in ward F5 :)

Rumours are someone in the town has put in a £150'000 bid for the place. Not sure what you could salvage other than admin, some of the workshops/boilerhouse and chapel.

Surely the land alone has to be worth that? Heard somewhere that it was 37 acres or thereabouts, and seeing as there are/were plenty of buildings on there it stands to reason that permission would be granted to replace them at some stage. 37 acres with planning permission for 150k? If it wasn't for the demolition costs I'd tear your arm off! ;)

You've got a shot of one of the old padded cells btw, in ward F5 :)

If that the B&W shot of the narrow room with the single chair facing away from the window? If so then that was a throwaway snapshot with my G10 which turned out so grainy that there was nothing else for it but con convert it to mono. Wish I knew more about these places when I go to visit - ultimately I learn it all afterwards.

Nice site by the way, enjoyed exploring that too. :mrgreen:

m.

Surely the land alone has to be worth that? Heard somewhere that it was 37 acres or thereabouts, and seeing as there are/were plenty of buildings on there it stands to reason that permission would be granted to replace them at some stage. 37 acres with planning permission for 150k? If it wasn't for the demolition costs I'd tear your arm off! ;)

If that the B&W shot of the narrow room with the single chair facing away from the window? If so then that was a throwaway snapshot with my G10 which turned out so grainy that there was nothing else for it but con convert it to mono. Wish I knew more about these places when I go to visit - ultimately I learn it all afterwards.

Nice site by the way, enjoyed exploring that too. :mrgreen:

m.

Well it's got planning for mixed use but the locals would object to anything such as housing. Fact is the town is dying as a result of the closure of the place. It needs some sort of rebirth as a backpackers stop for the Brecons. There is also rumours that the chap who owns Chancefield house is interested (the white house down before the chapel).

The padded cell shot was this one:

4296341960_491800eef6_o.jpg

The window gives it away and also if you look on the door frame you will see the old padded cell fixings are still there/visable. The layout is almost identical on the male side, you'll find it's a side entrance one though.. there is no floor in it though, just the carpet so be careful if you do go back!

Well it's got planning for mixed use but the locals would object to anything such as housing. Fact is the town is dying as a result of the closure of the place. It needs some sort of rebirth as a backpackers stop for the Brecons.

lol - some locals will object to anything, but beggars can't be choosers. Backpackers would work, but it's an awfully big site and the Brecons is already filled with hostels and B&Bs. Maybe something along the lines of a camping / caravan park? I daresay we'll eventually find out.

The padded cell shot was this one:

Aah, OK, now I understand. T'was virtually pitch black in there save for the bit of diffuse light making its way in through that high window, so it was either HDR or spend 15 minutes setting up some off-camera strobes. Think it worked out OK, but the downside was that I didn't get to see much of the detail until afterwards. Will keep an eye out if I ever go back.

Cheers for the heads-up!

m.

Tripleoptics and I returned to the Mid Wales Hospital a couple of weeks back, mainly because I really liked one of my pictures from the previous visit and wanted to improve it, and because we didn't actually get to see the piano last time. (surely a first)

Within 45 minutes of arriving on site we had the money shots in the bag and it was only 08:30 - result!

We decided to call it a day and head back to the car, where we met two gentlemen. A quick shake of hands and a chat later we were told a new effort is being made to secure as much as is feasible because there's been a change in receivership and efforts to sell the place are to resume in earnest. Could be just pub-talk, but figures of 40 mil were being bandied about.

Anyway, here's the pictures I came for. Both used 2 off-camera stobes on light stands, one gelled and umbrella'd.

m.

The Workshop
4483025619_94d7961f1c_o.jpg

The Piano
4483686938_1d28dbd094_o.jpg

As always, thanks for looking!

Last edited by a moderator:
Really good photos!!

Are you shooting them as HDR or are you using some post production to get the effect??

I went for my first vist yesterday, im just looking throught all my photos now.. I wanted to shoot HDR but I just never got the chance??

ROSS

Are you shooting them as HDR or are you using some post production to get the effect??

Thanks Ross! No effect there, just creative use of flash and a bit of adjustment in white balance. I don't really bother with HDR unless there is some really really intense contrast in the picture, which wasn't the case here.

m.

Well even more credit due then for the ability to get that much detail out of a normal photo......

Good job mate..:)

Wow, some really fantastic shots. Lighting and composition are just perfect. Makes it worthwhile carrying the heavy tripod if thihs is the result. Some really photogenic decay going on, shame it's so far from me!

Hehe, cheers UrbanX!

Tripod is one thing, but it was the light stands and umbrellas that broke the camel's back. FWIW I can recommend this place if you fancy staying somewhere close to Talgarth so that you can get an early start, cheap as chips and great people to boot. Might make the trip a bit more feasible for you.

m.

Latest posts

Back