Mystery of soggy Cambridgeshire DERP going over goon heads

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rosyrockets

Reaction score
There's a place doing the goontube rounds that is half DERP but half grey-area, i.e. probably still checked up on by family. It's gone by "She locked the door never to return...", "The Widows Untouched Abandoned [blah]" and randomly, "The Chaplins House". There is a blatant clue to the identity of the owner (a famous academic) that all of them are missing and it's driving me mad. Knowing who it is makes a lot of the contents fall into place. I guess if they did work it out they wouldn't want to make it so identifiable? But I was curious as to whether anyone here had visited it. Sorry if this comes across as clickbaity - just keen to chat to anyone who's been there.

Oh - it's just that there's a location that's getting a lot of visitors from Urbexers filming for YouTube. There tends to be a total lack of research into wherever they go, so I'm always pausing the videos and trying to suss out the location/original occupant. I was able to work out that the person who lived in this one place was really interesting, and I was excited to have worked it out. I thought maybe someone on the forums might also have heard about it so I could let them know the history of the place in case it was of interest. I was going to try and contact the YouTubers but I've really gone off them. Hope that makes more sense!

There's a place doing the goontube rounds that is half DERP but half grey-area, i.e. probably still checked up on by family. It's gone by "She locked the door never to return...", "The Widows Untouched Abandoned [blah]" and randomly, "The Chaplins House". There is a blatant clue to the identity of the owner (a famous academic) that all of them are missing and it's driving me mad. Knowing who it is makes a lot of the contents fall into place. I guess if they did work it out they wouldn't want to make it so identifiable? But I was curious as to whether anyone here had visited it. Sorry if this comes across as clickbaity - just keen to chat to anyone who's been there.
Although it's exciting to know the location, and it's history. I would, for the locations sake, keep it to yourself. The less the location is named, or the history disclosed , the less likely it is to trashed, robbed, and burned down. 😊

Oh - it's just that there's a location that's getting a lot of visitors from Urbexers filming for YouTube. There tends to be a total lack of research into wherever they go, so I'm always pausing the videos and trying to suss out the location/original occupant. I was able to work out that the person who lived in this one place was really interesting, and I was excited to have worked it out. I thought maybe someone on the forums might also have heard about it so I could let them know the history of the place in case it was of interest. I was going to try and contact the YouTubers but I've really gone off them. Hope that makes more sense!
Thats because there is a large circle of goon tube knobs passing locations about quicker than u can blink.
If one finds it they all go.
If you can put link to the vids someone may know it,

This is the latest one, it's somewhat phoned in. I know of two more - one is almost unwatchable because the camera light is too bright and the other one features the main giveaway as to the original occupant, not to mention a very poorly covered up break-in to a locked bedroom.

Thats because there is a large circle of goon tube knobs passing locations about quicker than u can blink.
If one finds it they all go.
If you can put link to the vids someone may know it,
The New Civil Engineer website has this about the Queensbury Tunnel near Bradford:

"National Highways' long-running battle with disgruntled campaigners in West Yorkshire has boiled over, with the police called in to investigate an alleged case of trespass.
England's major roads operator filed the complaint after unsolicited photos emerged from inside the abandoned Queensbury Tunnel near Bradford. The report has been filed with West Yorkshire Police and NCE understands that it specifically relates to trespass.

The photographs were taken late last year by three "urban explorers" and have been released by campaigners who are frustrated that the work to the Victorian structure was carried out in the first place. A West Yorkshire Police spokesperson has confirmed that its Bradford South Neighbourhood Policing Team is looking into the complaint. Inspector Andrew Thornton added: 'National Highways have been in contact regarding the Queensbury Tunnel and we are working with them to establish the full facts of what has happened and what solutions can be worked on to prevent further incidents. 'Anyone who enters the site without permission not only puts their own safety at risk but also expose themselves to either civil action or criminal prosecution.'

The photographs show the tunnel blocked in two places. One photo shows work carried out in October 2019, when National Highways contractors tipped hundreds of tonnes of stone down one of the tunnel’s shafts, close to the southern portal. A second photo, taken around 300m further north, shows grout-filled steel baskets that have been assembled to support a separate shaft which previous inspection reports recorded as being in 'Fair condition”' The work took place last summer when floodwater in the tunnel was at its lowest point, but the materials still had to be installed by divers and the grout pumped 500m from the water’s edge.

Elsewhere, photos show steel mesh panels and sprayed concrete have been used to strengthen sections of the tunnel’s lining and colliery arches erected to provide access beneath areas where brickwork collapses have occurred."

National Highways has an ongoing campaign to fill in the cuttings below countless historic bridges on former railway lines, and to block umpteen unused tunnels - all in the name of "safety". And one company has the nationwide contract to do the job. No doubt 'jobsworth' NH is upset at the adverse publicity provided by the urban explorers who took the photos.

Another quote from the NCE article:

"Queensbury Tunnel Society leader Norah McWilliam said that the photos 'capture a missed opportunity'. The group have long questioned the need for such drastic repairs and have repeatedly called for the tunnel to be converted into a walking and cycling route. The final cost of the project to repair the 2.25km tunnel – which connects Halifax and Bradford – came in at £7.3M, more than 13 times the original estimated cost.

The programme was originally costed at £545,000, but this figure rose significantly after National Highways (formerly Highways England) failed to pay the £50 annual rent on a pumping station at the Halifax end of the tunnel, resulting in the need for a temporary dewatering operation which cost around £1.2M.

Information obtained by the Queensbury Tunnel Society also reveals that National Highways was paying AMCO-Giffen more than £3,000 a day to provide “round-the clock security” at the site over Christmas in 2020. However campaigners have questioned the need for repairs and have labelled it a 'monumental waste of time'.

McWilliam added: 'Spent appropriately, £7.3M could have been used to repair much of the tunnel and bring closer its rehabilitation for public benefit. Instead that money has largely been wasted on works that would not have been necessary if National Highways had paid the rent on the pumping station.'

In response, National Highways head of Historical Railways Estate programme Hélène Rossiter said that the tunnel could yet be restored as a walking and cycling route."

This is the latest one, it's somewhat phoned in. I know of two more - one is almost unwatchable because the camera light is too bright and the other one features the main giveaway as to the original occupant, not to mention a very poorly covered up break-in to a locked bedroom.

He's also used a different house in that drone shot, that's not the house. 🙄

they are all at it, see vid below, have done both these places, they are over 50mile apart

Attachments

• VID-20220219-WA0044.mp4
    6.1 MB

Latest posts

Back