Netley Abbey (quite a few pix)

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alansworld

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Needed to put a few miles on the new car and the new camera. Thought I'd head coastwards, but then on the map I noticed Netley Abbey. A little glance at Wikipedia told me it was worth 100 miles or so, and I don't believe it's been done on here before.

The place is enormous, and clean as a whistle, both from a rubbish and crap point of view as well as a graffiti point of view (except, see below) and is in well looked after grounds.

Wikipedia: Netley Abbey is a ruined late medieval monastery in the village of Netley near Southampton in Hampshire, England. The abbey was founded in 1239 as a house for Roman Catholic monks of the austere Cistercian order. Despite being a royal abbey, Netley was never rich, produced no influential scholars nor churchmen, and its nearly 300-year history was quiet. The monks were best known to their neighbours for the generous hospitality they offered to travellers on land and sea.

In 1536, Netley Abbey was closed by Henry VIII of England during the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the building was converted into a mansion by William Paulet, a wealthy Tudor politician. The abbey was used as a country house until the beginning of the eighteenth century, after which it was abandoned and partially demolished for building materials. Subsequently the ruins became a tourist attraction, and provided inspiration to poets and artists of the Romantic movement. In the early twentieth century the site was given to the nation, and it is now a Scheduled Ancient Monument, cared for by English Heritage. The extensive remains consist of the church, cloister buildings, abbot's house, and fragments of the post-Dissolution mansion. Netley Abbey is one of the best preserved medieval Cistercian monasteries in southern England.

dsc02050.jpg

I was lucky - those heavens did NOT open

dsc02051.jpg

dsc02052.jpg

dsc02058.jpg

dsc02060.jpg

dsc02061.jpg

dsc02067.jpg

dsc02068.jpg

dsc02070.jpg

dsc02083.jpg

dsc02092.jpg

dsc02110.jpg

dsc02101.jpg

For anybody who loves spiders

dsc02126.jpg

Graffiti of the good and ancient kind

dsc02076.jpg

dsc02122.jpg

And finally, the obligatory arty-farty shot.

Back