Old Chippie

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Love the pictures, especially the second one. Its an excellent idea to contact all the companies who provide locations for films and tv. Maybe its an idea to contact the tv companies as well, as they sometimes use the same places for a variety of tv programmes.

Will also send an objection to the council regarding any demolition of the premises.

Cheers, keep more pics like this coming, love them.

:) Sal

Its so sad to think lovley buildings with sole are lost forever! It would be great if this one was saved!!

bar stewards how can they demolish something as clean and original like that :mad: i hope they save the fittings and move them to a museam such as beamish (might be worth getting in touch before they start destroying the place) really is too good to loose

i was expecting some greasy spoon type place when i opened the thread :lol:

Hi Friends,

There has been lots of activity amongst conservationists to save Burrows.

There was even an official site meeting with the owners, agent and others on 16 December.

The planning application that proposes demolition is due to go to the planning committee on 20 February. It is not too late to object.

Please write with an objection to Ealing Council, Percerval House, 14-16 Uxbridge Road LONDON W5 2HL or email Ealing LBC at [email protected] with an objection to the demolition of the W Burrows Chippy. Just quote the Reference No PP/2007/4277. ASAP

There some details at http://www.pam.ealing.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=96849 . It looks as if you can leave comments there.

There is other activity going on - as soon as the news can be shared. You will be very first to know.

Meanwhile here are some small pics from 16 December:

0186_Seating_Booth_Fish_Shop.jpg
0187_Fish_Shop_12_Tile_panels.jpg
0188_Fish_Shop_Loop_of_piping_for_w.jpg
0189_Fish_Shop_Bench_end.jpg
0191_Gas_taps.jpg
0193_Crypto_Spud_washer.jpg
0195_Crypto_Spud_washer.jpg
0196_Old_Fryer_newer_Hood_Asbestos_.jpg
0197_Typical_tile_detail_hand_paint.jpg
0198_Typical_tile_detail_hand_paint.jpg
0200.jpg
0201_Fish_Tile_Ornamental_Goldfish.jpg
0202_Fish_Tile_Ornamental_Goldfish.jpg
0204_Fish_Tile_sturgeon.jpg
0205_Parish_Post_1865.jpg
0207_Hammersmith_parish.jpg
0208_Parish__OS_Datum_1882.jpg
0209_See_the_Smoke_house_and_pidgeo.jpg
0213_Incomplete_construction.jpg
0215_Rear_from_the_yard.jpg
0219_Smoke_house_and_pidgeon_loft.jpg
0220_Clockwork_pidgeon_timers_and_m.jpg
0223_Pidgeon_loft_till_2006.jpg
Burrows_Fish_Shop_W5_067.jpg
Burrows_Fish_Shop_W5_068_Brillient_.jpg
Burrows_Fish_Shop_W5_072_Main_count.jpg
Burrows_Fish_Shop_W5_073_Tables_set.jpg
Burrows_Fish_Shop_W5_075_wet_fish_s.jpg
Burrows_Fish_Shop_W5_079_Frontage.jpg
Burrows_Fish_Shop_W5_083_at_least_4.jpg
IMG_0199.jpg
IMG_0203.jpg

Fight the demolition -the chips are down!

I'm pleased you like the pics Foxlady. I shall pass the compliment on to the photographer.

My news is that there has been a serious application to English Heritage to get the building 'spot' listed Grade II, being of architectural or historical importance.

The planning application is to be considered on the 20 February. The officers report can be found at http://www.ealing.gov.uk/ealing3/ex...08/Application_03_1_East_Acton_LanexActon.doc

Whatever happens there is not long to go...

I have just heard that English Heritage has done the business and the Old Chippie has been listed!

There was an Ealing planning committee meeting last night. I expect that the planning application was granted subject to the lisiting process.

However, because the the building is in very poor structural condition and cannot be saved there will have to be a plan to salvage / conserve items of importance from the building and some if it will go to be preserved by museums.

If Gsea had not posted his fine pics here then the whole lot would have gone to the wrecker's ball. A big thanks and brotherly hug to Graham.

I may be able to add updates and clarifications later. Is anyone interested in the end game?

Keep us informed, I don't really see the point in the listing if they are going to grant permission to demolish the buildings. Sounds like a failure of the system to me.

Thats fantastic to hear! :)

I'd be very interested to hear of any progress on the planniing side of things,

Burrow's is a fantastic remainder of days gone by - i dont think i've ever seen such a intact chipshop anywhere. It would be good to see the building re-erected at one of the open air history museums or the like.

Always been slightly intrigued by the place ever since we drove past it one evening on the way to park royal brewery *cough*Diago are B*stards*cough* a few years ago.

Cheers,

Dave

I have just heard that English Heritage has done the business and the Old Chippie has been listed!

There was an Ealing planning committee meeting last night. I expect that the planning application was granted subject to the lisiting process.

However, because the the building is in very poor structural condition and cannot be saved there will have to be a plan to salvage / conserve items of importance from the building and some if it will go to be preserved by museums.

If Gsea had not posted his fine pics here then the whole lot would have gone to the wrecker's ball. A big thanks and brotherly hug to Graham.

I may be able to add updates and clarifications later. Is anyone interested in the end game?

Excellent news. I'm so glad this place is going to be saved. I've never seen a chippie like this before - ever, and when the pics went up, sent the emails to the council etc to try and save it.

Cheers again, please keep us updated on everything else thats happening with it.

Thanks for the interest and queries.

The listing and demolition option does seem bizarre at first sight.

To try to explain (and I don’t find this easy), I understand:

1. There is a common understanding that the condition of the whole structure is so compromised that the building cannot be saved. It was built in a very odd way and left unfinished by 1939 (there are still unused RSJs from the time on site). It has suffered from water penetration that has allowed steel to rust, expand and make huge cracks. The professional structural survey report on the building shows how serious the problem is. (I have a copy of the report).Nor is there any significant in the structure.

2.The listing means that the building’s owners or developers will now need listed building consent and further planning permission for demolition from Ealing LBC. This means that the demolition cannot go ahead without consent and the observation of conditions set in the process (Such conditions would come from EH, DCMS, Ealing LBC and from advice from Twentieth Century Society and the Tiles and Architectural Ceramics Socity). The developers would have to bear the cost of such conditions.

3. English Heritage (and presumably the DCMS) see the chip shop itself alone as being of value and interest. EH and the conservation bodies involved want the whole shop frontage, the furniture and fittings, the nice tiles etc all to be removed and go to museum type conservation.

4. There are variety of museum options. Some have been proposed above. I don’t think it would be useful for me to speculate on them here.

If you are interested in housing the frontage and fittings of a fish and chip shop I would be pleased to put you in touch with owners.

I can see there is an urgency to getting on with this. It would be a real shame to se the whole lot being lost through arson or…

That done, can I say that I think it can still be a good result. The owners, the architect and the other parties all want to do the right thing.

Cheers, Cinestep

Its put a smile on my face as i read this!. Shame that they cannot save the original building!.

Things are starting up again for W C Burrows.

There is about to be an a listed building consent application made that will seek demolition. We will have to see how the applicant can seek to justify this.

I will post news right here.

Meanwhile here is the report from English Heritage that led to the Secretary of State listing the building Grade II.

front0002.jpg
front0003.jpg

front0004.jpg
front0005.jpg

front0006.jpg
front0007.jpg

front0008.jpg

If you can't read the text above because it is too small PM me. If you can read it you will be able to see what makes W C Burrows special.

Let's make sure Burrows has a future!

Last edited:
Thanks for posting that up - makes an interesting read although i dont think its done my eyes any favours!

Let us know any developments with the planning application.

Good Luck,

Dave

Agree with WOTS, thank you for posting the application up. Its a shame that the main structure may be demolished, but excellent news that the fittngs etc should be saved.

Hope everything goes well with saving all the fixtures and fittings, and hopefully the frontage etc.

Thank you for keeping us updated. I love this building.

Cheers,

...makes an interesting read although i dont think its done my eyes any favours!...

I concur on both! :mrgreen: It did make my eyes hurt too much, so I only read the last couple of pages with the conclusions and reasons for designation. Again, thanks for the update. It really is a special place and hope good will come from this.
Cheers :)

Latest posts

Back