Old food labels and packets

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
An old Heslop and Son of Peterhead bottle. The midden beside the site of the old Peterhead Golf Clubhouse site is slowly being uncovered by time and weather. Whilst it is mostly broken glass, crockery and the like turning up, the occasional gem from the early 1900's turns up.

The only reference I can find is to a company that owned some 77 public houses, and was based in Norton on Tees. More research needed to discover the Peterhead connection, if any.

4865600602_fc4eb58bae_b.jpg

Also uncovered is this intact gin bottle. This midden is an absolute treasure trove. Regular visits on the cards, especially after storms, to see what else pops out.

4865601400_70c8ed929a_b.jpg

Peterhead Golf Club was established in 1841, and a new clubhouse was opened in 1969 away from this site. So anything in the midden would have to be dated from between that timescale. I imagine then, that there wil be some considerable way to go before any of the older artefacts start to turn up.

However, the original clubhouse burned down, with a replacement opened in 1887. There is considerable evidence of fire at the site of the midden. So might it just be possible that rather than it being a general rubbish tip, it is actually the spot where the fire damaged contents of the fire were deposited?

An old Heslop and Son of Peterhead bottle. ... More research needed to discover the Peterhead connection, if any.... So might it just be possible that rather than it being a general rubbish tip, it is actually the spot where the fire damaged contents of the fire were deposited?

Just wondered, Seahorse, if the Peterhead bottle had been part of a consignment brewed specifically for the Golf Club. :)

Just wondered, Seahorse, if the Peterhead bottle had been part of a consignment brewed specifically for the Golf Club. :)

It's certainly possible Foxy. I was only aware of Hunters (as per earlier pic) in the town, although there was apparently a brewery at one time in Inverugie Castle. Probably too early for a bottle to turn up at the golf club. Maybe.

I think Hunters operated under licence from Tenants at one time, so it's not beyond the bounds of possibility that Heslop's had a similar arrangement with a local brewer.

I have emailed Cameron's brewery to see if they have any info, as I think Heslop's had a connection there at some point.

OK, back to the bottles (I feel as if I'm hijacking the thread), it would appear that the Gordon's Gin bottle dates from about 1912. There is also a small Long John whisky bottle, a local blend now defunct, dating from about 1924. So quite a spread in dates.

Discovered this from the registered numbers embossed on the glass. So now I have to go back for another look at the Heslop and Son bottle to see if I can get a number from that to hopefully narrow down the search somewhat. Hopefully it won't have been covered up by sand yet. Fingers crossed.

Oh, gawd, I'm turning into a bottle anorak. :p

Wow guys some nice finds all round. I love old bottles and things, I have to say when I come across something like that I always have a hard job not picking them up and taking them home.

Loved reading the thread and although I have no food labels to share, after seeing the other semi off topic things here I thought it would be acceptable to share these, I really like the artwork on them and it just shows how much nicer things were displayed back in the 1960s and 1970s:

ad74e3f5.jpg

5113402b.jpg

And to keep it urbex related, a set of pens I found in West Park + a load of 1980s/1990s atari amiga games! How sad.

465dcf0c.jpg

Walkers crisps

@Trankmast

I remember buying that style of walkers crisp packet late 70's and they were 7p. Can't remember if it was before or after that that the window ran vertical right up the middle of the packet.

crisps_back.jpg
[/CENTER]

:)[/QUOTE]

This made me laugh, you could by the silverware from the pound store today and have 2p left in your pocket!!!

RAF Chenies, smelt nasty!

Potatoes in a now demolished care home in Aylesbury

Label roller thing with labels from Merrydown Cider Factory

Plus boxes and boxes of Shloer

And to keep it urbex related, a set of pens I found in West Park + a load of 1980s/1990s atari amiga games! How sad.

465dcf0c.jpg

Some of those games are real classics.. I actually just rekindled my past by completing Beneath a Steel Sky on the iPhone :D

Love the bottle finds Seahorse. Amazing what can still turn up. I presume they are intact due to the fact they were most likely thrown into the sand dunes rather than hitting something hard.

Here's a few tobacco packets from a recent explore. Not sure how old they are but thought it would fit into this thread ok. The L&B seems to have sneaked in though..

5549649847_06a9fd4d16_z.jpg

From the basement of Lathallan House. Certainly a lot older than 15 years matured now. I wish I'd had a look at the dozens of other bottles in the cellar, most of which would probably be a lot older than this one.

5558372331_eacbbd76c8_z.jpg

Latest posts

Back