one for the photographer types here

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

audi-adam

Reaction score
alreet peeps,

just a quickie for all you photographer types

i went into london camera exchange earlier and had a play about with a canon 60d and fell in love, just wondering if anyone has one and could share there opinions on it with me

on another note does anyone have 800 quid they would like to donate to the buy adam a better camera fund :D

thank you good night !!

alreet peeps,

just a quickie for all you photographer types

i went into london camera exchange earlier and had a play about with a canon 60d and fell in love, just wondering if anyone has one and could share there opinions on it with me

on another note does anyone have 800 quid they would like to donate to the buy adam a better camera fund :D

thank you good night !!

I have a 60D Adam and I love it.
I was originally going for a 7D but it made no sense when comparing it to the 60D for me.
The shutter speed difference wasn't that much of an issue to me along with a couple of other features the 7D had that the 60D didn't.

Also, I used to think they were a bit of a gimmick to be honest, but if you get it for one thing GET IT FOR THE FLIP OUT SCREEN. That thing is the handiest bloody addition I have had on any camera. You start taking shots from angles you wouldn't of even thought of before.

If you want to know anything specific feel free to ask mate but I can recommend it all the way.

I was originally going for a 7D but it made no sense when comparing it to the 60D for me.
The shutter speed difference wasn't that much of an issue to me along with a couple of other features the 7D had that the 60D didn't.

Also, I used to think they were a bit of a gimmick to be honest, but if you get it for one thing GET IT FOR THE FLIP OUT SCREEN. That thing is the handiest bloody addition I have had on any camera. You start taking shots from angles you wouldn't of even thought of before.

If you want to know anything specific feel free to ask mate but I can recommend it all the way.

awesome! thats made it worse lol ,

any ideas how i can make 800 quid really quickly??

the flip out screen is awesome, the amount of times i have been crouched into some position a yoga master would be proud of trying to see through the viewfinder is bordering painful !

how good (or bad) is the video mode ?

thanks

What he said.
I looked at the 7D then bypassed the 60D to go for the even cheaper 550D which has the same sensor/processor etc. BUT...if you look at Madaxes shots you'll realise most of the compositions would normally have to be taken laying down / arms stretched out high, or just blind. With a flip screen he can compose these and not look like he's been dragged through a talc factory. Its a perfect choice for urbex IMO.

What he said.
I looked at the 7D then bypassed the 60D to go for the even cheaper 550D which has the same sensor/processor etc. BUT...if you look at Madaxes shots you'll realise most of the compositions would normally have to be taken laying down / arms stretched out high, or just blind. With a flip screen he can compose these and not look like he's been dragged through a talc factory. Its a perfect choice for urbex IMO.

cool , thanks for the input mate, is the 550 your back up body or do you use it alot ?

Hawk your ass outside Kings Cross Station? :p ;)

ha ha ha think id be paying them come the end ....... so to speak :wideeyed:

that and london is quite a drive for me lol

awesome! thats made it worse lol ,

any ideas how i can make 800 quid really quickly??

the flip out screen is awesome, the amount of times i have been crouched into some position a yoga master would be proud of trying to see through the viewfinder is bordering painful !

how good (or bad) is the video mode ?

thanks

Do what I do... Grow your hair long and stand provocatively on shady street corners offering oral pleasure to passers by, obviously. :mrgreen:

The video is fantastic, the same as it is on any of the new DSLR's to be honest. You can quite see why it is making waves on the DV scene.
You have manual control over all the usual bits including white balance. You can only use the screen to record video which is no big deal and you have a nice array of options when it comes to frame-rates and sizes etc...

1920 x 1080 (29.97, 25, 23.976 fps) - Full HD video. Make sure you get a decent class 10 SD card otherwise your buffer will flood and the video will stop every few seconds.

1280 x 720 (59.94, 50 fps) - Great for half speed/slow motion video, especially when you use it with a plugin like Twixtor.

640 x 480 (59.94, 50 fps) - You get the option in this mode to crop the image to full digital zoom with reasonable quality. Great little feature for recording stuff that's a long way off without having the pull of a big zoom lens. Combined with a decent zoom lens you can get some really impressive results with the crop feature.

The only thing you'll have trouble with is focus/DOF. You just need to remember that it's not a handy cam so you can't just wander around with it and expect excellent results.
The auto focus is slow and requires the AF button to be pressed every time you change subject if you wish to use it. You are better off using manual focus but this can be difficult on the small screen if you are just wandering around filming.
I have found that planning the shot is the only real way of getting excellent results out of a video DSLR without spending money on things like external monitors (so you can get a better feel for focus) or one of the autofocus systems.
If you have, or know someone that has a portable TV with HDMI you can use that as an external monitor for video.
Obviously aperture is one of the main factors when it comes to DOF. The smaller the aperture, the more extensive the depth of field, so take your lens choice into consideration if you are looking to use video pretty extensively.

UrbanX and I have been talking about video on DSLR's recently, and the real issue, with exploring anyway is usually light. Most of the places are either pitch black or dim and noise can be a real problem unless you spend time planning your shot and adjusting your settings accordingly.

Just prepare for some pissing around to get what you really want.
I'm still trying to get my head around a lot of it, mainly decent results in low light, so if anyone has some PROTIP's I'd like to see them please!

Keep your eye on canonrumors.com if you are scraping the money together over time.
A lot of the time Canon bring out a new lower end model that incorporates it's bigger brothers features. It's always going to be a compromise but you could end up save yourself some money towards a lens or something if you can do without the features in a higher end camera like I did.

Was meant to add actually...

I use a torch attached to my flash for filming in the dark but Canon have just brought out the new Speedlite 320EX which has a built in video LED. Not sure how good it is, but more of these will be coming out in time so that's a good sign.

Good addition to any explorers kit bag I think if you are looking for a new flash.;)

I'm Like Madaxe and got mine for the same reason. I love it and went and bought a canon 10 -22 lens to go with my 15 -85 and the battery lasts ages. :)

Yeah the 550D is my main camera. Go have a play with them both, despite the screen difference they have different button layouts! See what you get on with.

Wow I can see Christmas and the early part of next year being expensive.... been meaning to get a decent flash for a while now too , thanks urbanx I will look into the 550 next time I pop into exeter, and thanks for taking the time to give me some advice guys much appreciated ( apart from the man whoring stuff you can keep that to yourselves :p)

Adam

Hey mate !! I have just recently pirchased a 60 d and although it does give good results i have to say that QUALITY of piccy wise it dosent seem any better than my 40 d !!! (apart, obviously, from having lots more pixels !!!) The real selling point for me was the viewing screen, this has been improved no end and you can now zoom COMPLETELY in to your pic and see just how crisp it is !! It also has a built in electronic level (for those pitch black tripod jobs !!) BUT my main piece of advise is the lens !!! If you can, get a better lens than the one supplied. I shelled out about £800 for the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 BUT the results are much much sharper !!! So there you are, you now need approx £1600 !! Ever thought of becoming a drug dealer !!!!:)

BUT my main piece of advise is the lens !!! If you can, get a better lens than the one supplied. I shelled out about £800 for the Canon 17-55mm f2.8 BUT the results are much much sharper !!! So there you are, you now need approx £1600 !! Ever thought of becoming a drug dealer !!!!:)

Yeah I agree with this.
Avoid the kit lenses if you can. Save the extra money and grab a lens that suits your needs.

Yeah I agree with this.
Avoid the kit lenses if you can. Save the extra money and grab a lens that suits your needs.

IMO the only thing kit lenses are good for is taking pictures of your family inside your house. Which I guess is what they're aimed at.

well i currently have a 1000d , and id feel a bit silly putting 800 quids worth of lens on a 300 quid camera, i have a few lens` now inc a 50mm prime f1.8, a 28 90 mm ultrasonic and a cheapo tamron 70-300, and of course the kit lens thats only good as a paper weight, ahhhh i dont know, is it worth me buying a bling body then ??

well i currently have a 1000d , and id feel a bit silly putting 800 quids worth of lens on a 300 quid camera, i have a few lens` now inc a 50mm prime f1.8, a 28 90 mm ultrasonic and a cheapo tamron 70-300, and of course the kit lens thats only good as a paper weight, ahhhh i dont know, is it worth me buying a bling body then ??

Lens > Body, something most people tend to forget. ;)

Back