"Overexposed" B-29 Aircraft, Bleaklow, Derbyshire

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow man thats well cool! There is a bit of one of these kind of planes I think on the Cheviot in Northumberland. Amazing that these things are still around.

According to 'Dark Peak Aircraft Wrecks 1' by Ron Collier and Roni Wilson this aircraft did take part at Bikini Atoll.

This morning I visited the crash site of B24-J Liberator 42-52003 which crashed on the moors above Glossop. I'll post my pictures if I ever work out how to.

Cheers for posting this link James. Myself, Kaputnik and Crashmatt were in the area but as the weather was too bad for climbing we decided to try and find this. I'd memorised your flashearth link and was able to figure out roughly where it was on a map. After a few false alarms (including a gravel bag) I spotted something silver and we found it.

3431949359_33b641064c.jpg

3435841214_0fe3c93fc5.jpg

3432641818_9e559885bd.jpg

As you said; a poignant and strange explore.

Nice pictures those. Thanks for adding them!
When I went, it was quite hot, so just goes to show how the weather changes up there.

I absolutely stank of peat when I got home; probably because I was covered in the stuff from the knees down:)

So you made my mistake and walked into a peat bog? My trousers still have a black hue and smell like the open moors. Worth a pair of trousers though. :mrgreen:

Me neither really. I am in scouts so I guess that helps. The weather is very changeable, take a compass when you do go so you can roughly find you way back if the weather does turn.
Welcome to the site by the way :)

Well done for making the trek up there, James.s! and some good pics, here are a few of my pics from my visit with the Revolution and Crashmatt recently....

superfortress055re.jpg

close up of the camgear and roller tipped pushrods on one of the rusting 'Cyclone' 9 cylinder radial engines...

superfortress063re.jpg

Pitted chrome plating on one of the undercarriage legs....

superfortress070re.jpg

Part of a wing spar, and shreds of a wing, the Revolution takes a picture in the background....

superfortress067re.jpg

Strange how the welds have not corroded in 50+ years, on this piece of undercarriage leg, but the main part of it has, maybe the welds are stainless.....

superfortress071re.jpg

A reminder that this site is the place where 13 aircrew members lost their lives...

superfortress076re.jpg

A very bizarre site.. but all the same - harrowing and fascinating at the same time.

Yeah, thanks for contributing Kaputnik and The_Revolution, great pictures. Is anyone else planning on going? I now know where it is you see...

Interesting stuff, thanks for posting. I've got a few pics of a wreck near me, I'll put them up next week.

On the Nuclear or not debate, LIO112's friend tested a small fragment of metal from the plane with a geiger counter and it is slightly over the UK's average background radiation level, so that could be a clue to determine whether it was the same plane that did monitor the Bikini Atoll tests.

Re the radiation thing, it's worth remembering that some aircraft components are radioactive in themselves. Old instruments are particularly bad for this, as they were coated with radium to glow in the dark; go to any aircraft museum and look in the cockpit of a pre 1960s aircraft and you may well see a radiation warning notice on it. I used to work in an aircraft museum, and we would often get people handing old instruments in; we ended up building a special reinforced room to store them as they were too toxic to display. Also, some engine components like turbine blades are made from radioactive metals for reasons of strength and durability. It might also be due to the aircraft spending a lot of time at high altitude, which the B29 was designed to do, given that environmental radiation is much higher at 30000 feet; nuclear power enthusiasts always argue that you get more exposure from a transatlantic flight than from living near a nuclear power station. Personally I'd rather do neither, but that's just me.

Sorry to be an anorak, just wanted to put an alternate view.

Good point, Random.
I worked at a place which refurbished turbine parts for aircraft engines, (only stuck it for a short while, as it was a mindnumbing repetative job!) and we had to change into overalls and boots which had to be left in the work area, and not worn outside the double doors, also had to wear a badge which recorded exposure levels! the alloys used in some aircraft parts, mostly alloy castings, are 'thoriated' - contain a very small percentage of Thorium, a radioactive material, which strengthens the alloy, also used in TIG welding electrodes, such tiny amounts that it's no worse for you than having an X-ray, but it's there, nonetheless.

Oh, thanks for that guys, that would explain why some of the parts are slightly radioactive, there is also evidence that the plane took part in the bomb tests too :)

I've been on another visit today, saw some more people up there too.
Here's the pics:

Wheel
img0694.jpg

Lovely Chrome
img0709.jpg

Pitted Chrome
img0716.jpg

Made by Boeing
img0722.jpg

Cross 1
img0765.jpg

Cross 2
img0767.jpg

Thanks for looking :)

Oh, I am SO sorry, firstly for being so obviously wrong and secondly for offending you. What do you mean I have no idea anyway, I have stated the two sources I used. They both mention that the plane MAY HAVE BEEN used in the tests. That's what I meant, I had reason to believe it may have been.
Again I am sorry for wasting everyone's time :mad:

Back