Penscynor Wildlife Park - September 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexanderJones

Reaction score
Penscynor Wildlife Park, Neath.

Abandoned since 1998, Penscynor Wildlife Park is one of the few abandoned zoos in the world, that still exists in its entirety, albeit without the animals.

These photographs, taken in April & September 2012, showcase the park as it stands today.

Explored with Dawnwarrior.

7057129389_681081f28c_z.jpg

6911003880_6db5a66ec3_z.jpg

8009878900_d98f87fb01_z.jpg

Here you can see what was left of the gift shop...

6911017428_0e6918e6ba_z.jpg

6911023010_b9c2e9f807_z.jpg

6911031784_651fcacde0_z.jpg

There were a few quirky features left inside like the cellotape, but the best part had to be the abandoned penguin enclosure!

6911009352_cb37029eda_z.jpg

I got a little fisheye crazy with this last shot. It's probably one of my favourite ones...

8009882092_c4fd87e476_z.jpg

Thanks for checking these out guys!

More photographs on Flickr and my website!​

Last edited:
As stated in other threads on Penscynor....

Seen shots of it before, but glad to see it again

Memories of going here on School trips back in the mid 80s with Mr Hill repeatdly shouting at the kids to 'BEHAVE YOURSELF YOU FOOLS' come flooding back. Was it Chizy (in the other thread) who mentioned it being a day trip institution amongst school kids from South & West Wales? I think it was, and he's right.

Plus the thought of Howie Watkins leaping about here, terrifying kids with his over enthiusatic manner is grin worthy

Thanks.

One day, when not working/fixing the house/mowing lawn/fixing cars/posting on tinternet I will go here and have a snoop with camera. I think it could be quite emotional though :mrgreen:

looks like another location to add to the list, love zoos and wildlife so im both sad and intrested about this at the same time. cracking pics, love the fish eye one..

Sure I went there as a kid on school trips. Think there was a toboggan slide and a pond where you could feed coi carp. Seeing places you half-know derelict is like a strange dream.

Cheers for the pics.

Used to go to Penyscynor a lot when I was a kid as we lived not far away in Pontardawe. I put my head in Percy the Pelicans mouth once and was the talk of my school. He was well known for 'getting up close and personal' with visitors. There was a warning at the entrance saying he would retreat if you clapped at him but it never worked...

Fond memories of the Alpine slide too. There were two that ran alongside each other so I used to race my brother - happy times!

I can remember going to Penscynnor once or twice. Waking up 4 hours too early because I was way too excited. Have some pics of the taboggan slide thing they had.

Walked through it a few years ago too, after it had been abandoned to walk to my Brother's house. I don't remember the waterfall though. :(

Thank you for the pics x

Yeah went there many a time as a child and remember the alpine slide (and brambles overhanging).

The car stickers were great too, seemed to be on every other car back in the day.

Dawnwarrior, would you mind posting your pics in a single post rather than 1 post per photo? Cheers. :)

Back