Penscynor Wildlife Park. Neath

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clay_9

Reaction score
Just thought I'd share this place with you guys.

Penscynor wildlife park was a wonderful place, it housed monkeys / chimps, rare birds, reptiles, penguins and various other wildlife. I can't find any details about it online as to its size before closure, I remember visiting it many times as a young lad before it closed in October 1998.

The site was redeveloped as a housing estate but there are some remains of various buildings and features. It's very easy to get to, it's just hidden slightly off a public footpath. Visited April 2011.

I can't remember what was housed in this area, there's an island sort of structure and a walkway stretching over the water.
DSCF3668.JPG

DSCF3671.JPG

DSCF3672.JPG

There was an awesome toboggan ride there, there was a chair lift that took you towards the top of the hill and the run stretched through the forest on the side of the hill on its way back down. Best toboggan run I've ever been on. Nothing is left of the lift and practically all of the track was removed upon closure.
DSCF3678.JPG

DSCF3677.JPG

Some of the chair lift cable
DSCF3676.JPG

The footbridge which was at the end of the run.
DSCF3675.JPG

the other side of the hut, this is where you'd pay your pound and get on the chair lift.
DSCF3674.JPG

A tiny part of the actual track can be seen sticking through the undergrowth
DSCF3679.JPG

This is inside the reptile house, the compartments held various kinds of snakes, lizards etc
DSCF3682.JPG

DSCF3683.JPG

DSCF3684.JPG

DSCF3685.JPG

Cages around the back, currently being used by some of the residents of the housing estate as a place to store wood.
DSCF3686.JPG

This is one of the monkey/chimp enclosures
DSCF3687.JPG

DSCF3688.JPG

DSCF3689.JPG

DSCF3692.JPG

DSCF3695.JPG

This is directly under the last pic above, dark and scary
DSCF3697.JPG

I went in, cautiously.
DSCF3709.JPG

Looking into here was pitch black, camera flash obviously helps for pics.
DSCF3711.JPG

DSCF3712.JPG

DSCF3714.JPG

DSCF3716.JPG

DSCF3718.JPG

'Monkey runs'
DSCF3699.JPG

DSCF3700.JPG

Looking up at where I was earlier
DSCF3701.JPG

DSCF3708.JPG

DSCF3720.JPG

I think this is a run, the outer cage would have been higher and wider.
DSCF3722.JPG

Looking up towards what I believe was the penguin arena
DSCF3727.JPG

DSCF3728.JPG

DSCF3730.JPG

This was the window people could look through to see the penguins swimming around
DSCF3733.JPG

From inside
DSCF3735.JPG

Man thats a lot of photos. There really is hardly anything left, shame.

please please please resize your pics to 600x800. full size jpgs like you have used take days to load and most people would get board of waiting for it to load i know i did

Sorry, I guess I forget how fast my broadband is sometimes, I've reduced the size.

Last edited:
All the times I've gone down to South Wales to visit family, and we never went here. Was doing a search to find the place to take my little one the next time we were visiting, and found it was closed. :(

Glad to see a lot of the former buildings etc are still there even though there's now houses on the site.

Excellent pics.

Cheers,

:) Sal

Seeing this has stirred up memories of school trips here way back in the mid 80's

Thanks for that.

Unusual explore and some interesting remains there. Love the chair lift hut and the penguin enclosure.
Cheers for posting Clay_9, and welcome to DP. :)

I love how nature is totally reclaiming it, looks a good wander that.

Remember taking the kids there about 1996. Lovely little place with staff who seemed genuinely enthusiastic.
A lot of the smaller zoos seem to have closed now. Bl**dy theme parks.

used to go this place almost on a weekly basis as I had family living next to it, its sad to see it in such a state!

Will have to go and take a visit soon i think.

Last edited:
Great photos. I remember going on a school trip once. Shame its gone.

If you go to old-maps.co.uk, enter CILFREW and select the 1984 map, you can see the layout of the park.

Just thought I'd post this video that I created at this location. I'm a videographer and a comedy creator so the video is played for laughs, but you can see the locations that are in the pictures.

Interestingly, I shot this video in early October last year and there has been theft since then of metal surrounding the large enclousure with the waterfall. At 2mins 39 you can see the metal barrier sitting on top of the wall. in the pics I took above this is now gone.

[nomedia]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-U_dQF1Eqo[/nomedia]

I went there dozens of times as a youngster with my parents, was always a good day out. If i remember rightly that hut on island was for an ape ?
Brings back some memories...

Back