Pillbox & SpigotMapperley Plains - Nottinghamshire - August 2010

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nij4829

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Type 22 pillbox.
DSC_0002.jpg

DSC_0007.jpg

DSC_0005.jpg

DSC_0004.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

DSC_0006.jpg

Spigot morter mounting points.
DSC_0008.jpg

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Thanks to ctpies for the KMZ file which found these beauties.

Nice work. Been looking at this for months, but everytime I go past, the farmer's always in the field. :(

Next time I'm across that way, will have a look at that brickwork in the next field as well, I may even get out the car and ask the farmer if there's anymore bits and pieces dotted around. :)

:) Sal

That's the one mate. :) And further down Nottingham Road (the road on the right, towards Woodborough) in the next field, there's some brickwork in the fied, and in the patch of trees, there's something else. not had chance to have a look yet. :)

Last edited:
I've been looking through the pillbox forum today and I must ask, why is this one constructed from bricks whereas many of the ones i've seen are concrete? Is it just down to location?

No, they are all constructed from reinforced concrete but use various forms to mould it... most often it's brick, corrugated iron or wood.

The ones where you can actually see the concrete used wooden shuttering, and it's pretty obvious if they used corrugated iron because they have that crincly corrugated effect!

It entirely depended on region and availability of materials.

So the frame is created from either wood, brick or corrugated iron then the concrete is put on top? Sorry If i sound stupid, just interested. :)

They are formed exactly the same way any other concrete construction is formed, with shuttering is constructed to form the shape, then rebar is inserted and concrete poured in. It then dries/cures and in most cases the shuttering is removed, except in the case of brick shuttering where it is left in place as it cannot be re-used in the same way corrugated iron or wood can be.

Brick also has the additional benefit of adding to the camouflage of course.

Back