RAF Base

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My dads attic used to look like that, untill i wheelibinned it all.(before the days of ebay )

I think he means that he doesnt want to tell anyone where it is, as if they go they will realise all the stuff has gone cos he stole it.

Nice one. But was this all there was? I'm not being rude, I mean was there any Hangars, air raid shelters, Control tower etc?

:)

LOL!:p
Thanks for your comments people and no, that's not me suffering from anal cokeophagus. I was the piccie taker.

This is incredible. For me personally, being a radio ham and a total shortwave radio fanatic, this would be the ultimate explore. Those packs of valves are just insane. I restore old military communications gear and it is really hard to get hold of quality valves these days. I am off now to look in my archives and try to identify some of the gear in these photos! Totally brilliant, thanks for putting these up!
BL if you can indetify some of the equipment, I'd really appreciate you letting me know as I've got no idea what any this stuff is used for.

Nice one. But was this all there was? I'm not being rude, I mean was there any Hangars, air raid shelters, Control tower etc?

:)
Sorry Saul, I don't want to be all mysterious, but I can't include any shots or describe the area that could give the location away. It wasn't my decision, but I agree with it.

I'll post a few more when I get home tonight. Cheers for the interest you've all shown, appreciated
icon14.gif

Sorry Saul, I don't want to be all mysterious, but I can't include any shots or describe the area that could give the location away. It wasn't my decision, but I agree with it.

I'll post a few more when I get home tonight. Cheers for the interest you've all shown, appreciated
icon14.gif

That wasn't a question for pictures that would give the game away mate, it was a question as to whether there were any other structures on the airfield. Hangars etc are pretty common on airfields and wouldn't really give away the location would they?

I look forward to seeing the other shots though. :)

LOL!:p
BL if you can indetify some of the equipment, I'd really appreciate you letting me know as I've got no idea what any this stuff is used for.

Hi mate. Well the only things I can identify is the old Grundig 2043 radio in picture 11. They were a domestic 6 band AM set produced around 1956. The other two radios on top of that Grundig are a mystery to me. Never seen anything like them.

As for the other stuff, most of it is test equipment, not radio gear, for example the thing in picture 8 is a wavemeter, or absorption wavemeter, used for checking field strengths of RF emissions from equipment and antennae.

Picture 15 is a bit of an odd one as it is a Pye whitehall transceiver (VHF around about 75 Mhz I think) which the police used in the 70s but I didn't know they were also used by the RAF.

Apart from that, don't really know about the other gear, I am more into radio than test gear.

Someone told me the Radio with a Telephone Dial sitting on top of it is a World War 2 Rado Receiver, frequency range " HF 2-30 MHz"
Should be in a museum for WW2 Radio Kit Really.:)

Latest posts

Back