Raf harrington/nuclear thor missile launch pads jan 2012

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Very interesting..I went to RAF Folkinham and saw some remains similar to this but having seen your report,its now a lot clearer what was at Folkinham.

There are / were 20 sites accross the UK, each with three pads, some have been totally obliterated, and others are decaying to the point that another 10 years will see them beyond interpretation.

The one at RAF Feltwell for instance, is now under a golf course for example.

EDIT:

I've just dug out this StreetView image I saved on Photobucket a few years ago, contrast it with the contemporary image in the OP, not much has changed!
Rothwell2009.jpg

Last edited:
Got to say a big thank you bunkerboy for your info very interesting indeed. When I done this thread yesterday the amount of history on the web kept me awake till silly Am fantastic read.
I have lived in Kettering (Near to Harrington) most of my life and never knew this site was there fantastic.
O and welcome to derelict places mate and thanks again
;)

Last edited:
The Mighty Thor

Hi Alex,

Thanx & respect for awesome pics & research of this subject.
I recall the things being 'necessary for the defence of the free world' back in the cold war of my childhood :)

Many people must have been involved in their installation & would be interesting to hear from them...also the people in the High St watching the convoys, even the guy sat by the wheel of the trailer lol.

Do any fellow travellers know if any of the missiles were test fired in the uk?

vixil

Got to say a big thank you bunkerboy for your info very interesting indeed. When I done this thread yesterday the amount of history on the web kept me awake till silly Am fantastic read.
I have lived in Kettering (Near to Harrington) most of my live and never knew this site was there fantastic.
O and welcome to derelict places mate and thanks again
;)

No problem at all.

I got interested in Thor about 5 years ago after looking at old airfields on Google Earth and wondering WTF was in the fields at Harrington. Like you, I spent many hours (and the rest...) looking into this topic; there's lots lof info available, but considering it's relatively recent history, there are some yawning gaps in it too. And there are chaps that know much more about it than I do.

There are virtually no site drawings or similar in The National Archive (it is believed most of it was shipped back to the US along with the missiles), and given that most of the chaps that worked on Project Emily (the codename for the Thor deployment) are still with us, finding out the details should be straightforward. It isn't!

218 Squadron, the outfit operating Thor at Harrington, have a squadron association, but unless you want to talk about Wellingtons or Lancasters don't seem to be bothered. A pity; this is a fundamental part of our defence history - of worldwide significance. These missiles were the first proper nuclear missiles the West had, even if they were only a stop gap until the Intercontinental stuff could be developed.

Do any fellow travellers know if any of the missiles were test fired in the uk?

vixil

Nope. Most RAF crews got to launch one round (cute name for a nuclear missile), a missile was taken from its dispersed site and flown back to the US to Vandenberg AFB, where the RAF crew got to light the blue touch paper in what was known as a CTL (Combat Training Launch).

Incidentally, we had our own missile system called Blue Streak which was tested at Spadeadam in Cumbria and on the Isle of Wight. Test firings of the missiles were carried out but were clamped so that they never took off. We did launch some rockets from Woomera in Australia and recently some bits that survived re-entry were discovered in the Bush. Co-ordinates were for sale on ebay...

I know some oldsters from the area and they recall seeing the missiles going along the roads, a pity that no-one had camera-phones back then!

Interestingly, the British public were remarkably uninformed about the whole programme (top secret of course), but the CND seemed to know long before anyone else where the sites were to be constructed and made a real nuisance of themselves during construction.

There's some contemporary footage on British Pathe here. Also footage on movietone.com but you need to register (free) to see it, search term 'thor' (obviously).

Last edited:
As BB has mentioned, all the RAF launches took place at Vandyland.

Here's Thor 272 prior to CTL 3 "Center Board" in 1960:

T272.jpg

Plenty of launch practices in the UK though, live warheads fitted but only the liquid oxygen was actually pumped into the missile, the RP1 fuel being pumped into a spare bowser instead, just in case:

Partial LOX fill, venting slightly as the tank fills:

T5REV.jpg

And once full, excess LOX gets dumped into the boil-off pit alongside the pad:

T4.jpg

After seeing the sorry state the Classified Storage Building has fallen into I dug out some photos I took sometime in the late 80s/ early 90s.
I must get them scanned sometime, but back then the roofs and gutters were intact on both buildings, and the Pyro Store still had its steel door in place.

After seeing the sorry state the Classified Storage Building has fallen into I dug out some photos I took sometime in the late 80s/ early 90s.
I must get them scanned sometime, but back then the roofs and gutters were intact on both buildings, and the Pyro Store still had its steel door in place.

Nice one i look forward to seeing them ;)

Nice one Mate! Will come along on the next one, bloody Work getting in the way :cry:

Yeah you missed a good one bud was a nice relaxed solo. looked into the one we are doing next week and that also was a Thor missile lauch site and yeah the control room will defo be flooded should still be a good one though ;)

nice report and pics and some great history also - somewhere ive been meaning to take a look at myself including the museum

of course northants had a second site on the other side of the county at polebrook where you can still see the shape of the launch pads on google earth

Nope. Most RAF crews got to launch one round (cute name for a nuclear missile), a missile was taken from its dispersed site and flown back to the US to Vandenberg AFB, where the RAF crew got to light the blue touch paper in what was known as a CTL (Combat Training Launch).

Incidentally, we had our own missile system called Blue Streak which was tested at Spadeadam in Cumbria and on the Isle of Wight. Test firings of the missiles were carried out but were clamped so that they never took off. We did launch some rockets from Woomera in Australia and recently some bits that survived re-entry were discovered in the Bush. Co-ordinates were for sale on ebay...

I know some oldsters from the area and they recall seeing the missiles going along the roads, a pity that no-one had camera-phones back then!

Interestingly, the British public were remarkably uninformed about the whole programme (top secret of course), but the CND seemed to know long before anyone else where the sites were to be constructed and made a real nuisance of themselves during construction.

There's some contemporary footage on British Pathe here. Also footage on movietone.com but you need to register (free) to see it, search term 'thor' (obviously).

Very interesting bunkerboy, ty ........also for the pathe link, lots of interesting stuff there.
vixil

Nice one i look forward to seeing them ;)

Here we are Alex, apologies for the light leaks on some of them.
My camera had a slight accident on the bike ride home that day, when it fell out of my bag and burst open on the road. Luckily I was able to salvage most of the exposed film.

Revetted US Warhead Compound area:

HTSs1.jpg

Pyrotechnics Store:

HTSs2.jpg

Classified Storage Building:

HTSs3.jpg

Views from the top of the revetment, turning clockwise...

Launch Emplacement No. 51:

HTSs6.jpg

Launch Emplacement No. 50:

HTSs7.jpg

CSB:

HTSs5.jpg

Pyro Store:

HTSs4.jpg

All the best,
PB

Thank you PB for sharing your images i really enjoyed them... how the buildings have changed in the last 20-30 years or so. It’s also nice to see some 35mm film shots I do think the old film camera take a lot better picture and nice one on saving them.

And thank you all for sharing you info and comments to this thread I’m glad you all have enjoyed it as much as I have as it is very interesting cheers again guys
;)

Back