RAF Kenley March 09

Derelict Places

Help Support Derelict Places:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

godzilla73

Veteran Member
Veteran Member
Reaction score
Seeing Foxy's photos of Dunkeswell prompted me to put my pics up of this place, which similarly is both derelict and live at the same time!
RAF Kenley was where Fighter Command was based for most of the Battle of Britain, and so was pretty important. If you want to know about its history Ken Delve's book Military Airfields of Southern England is a good place to start - which would tell you that the runway was 1200 yards of concrete with 18 dispersal bays. It would also tell you that a significant number of Spitfire and Hurricane squadrons were based there from1939 to 1944 and also (perhaps more interestingly) it was use to house captured German planes and rocketry after the war.
Today, it is part of Kenley Common, but at the same time, is still used by both private gliders AND VGS (Volunteer Glider Squadron) Viking 615. A substantial part of the base is derelict but still heavily fenced off with mucho security. The main part of the airfield though, is easily accessible, with people jogging, walking their dogs all over it. There are still a number of interesting buildings around this bit and with a bit of explore will probably reveal even more interesting stuff.

When you get on to the airfield site you come up right beside one of the old dispersal bays, where the planes were parked up. Each of these is surrounded by a tunnelled bunker, which all appear to be sealed off. This first one is, appropriately enough, home to Kenley's Battle of Briatin Memorial.
March09052.jpg

March09091.jpg

March09053.jpg

There used to be 18 of these dispersal bays, and there are now about five of them left. Most of them have entrances at both back and front, but some of them have been filled in.

March09156.jpg

March09157.jpg

There are also outer doors on some of these bunkers, but again they have been sealed.
March09057.jpg

March09059.jpg

You can walk the length of the main runway - it seems to go on forever! Some days you have to watch out for gliders though, which still use the site.
March09069.jpg

March09080.jpg

Down at the far eastern and of the runway, where not many people seem to go, is the most interesting stuff. Firstly on a raised bank to one side of the runway, I found this
March09143.jpg

As you can see, it still has some kind of metal fixing in the middle of it. I was thinking searchlight emplacement, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be really interested in hearing them.

Also down at the eastern end there is a fairly substantial bunker which drops down the hillside away from the end of the airfield. At the top there is this hatch, which is a bit like one of the hatches on one of the remaining dispersal bays.
March09149.jpg

The bunkers sides are reinforced concrete, but at the back, there is a ramp up to what was clearly the main entrance. Again this is sealed. Does anyone know what the purpose of such a bunker might have been?

March09152.jpg

March09154.jpg

Finally, at the Western end of the site, just off the runway and in a wood, are the remains of a large brick building. I have absolutely no idea what this was either. It appears to have a trench in front of it.
Answers on a postcard please!
March09139.jpg

March09159-1.jpg

Anyway - hope you enjoy these. If anyone wants to have a look round, I'm happy to be tour guide!

GDZ :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Ooh, excellent stuff, GDZ. Some really cool remains there. :mrgreen:
The bunkers are especially interesting as they look like ammo stores.

As you can see, it still has some kind of metal fixing in the middle of it. I was thinking searchlight emplacement, but if anyone has any ideas, I'd be really interested in hearing them...

Compass platform, maybe? It's just a guess mind, because I've never seen one, but I've seen references to them on the WW2 airfield maps I've got. The only other thing I can think of is the housing for a sleeve streamer...or wind sock mast, as I call them.
Just as a matter of interest, we found this near to the control tower at Dunkeswell. We thought it might be a wind mast but there wasn't any reference to it on the map. Not the same base as the one you found but another mystery that someone else might be able to solve.

dunkeswell14.jpg

Hmmm, that looks like it might be for an Anemometer (Sp?) or some other kind of weather instrument. The thing at Kenley is right on top of a raised mound that might be a filled in bunker - don't know if that makes a difference. Thanks for the help anyway. I will have a look and see if I can find anything about the compasses
GDZ :mrgreen:

Hmmm, that looks like it might be for an Anemometer (Sp?) or some other kind of weather instrument...

Aaaah! That would make perfect sense! There's a weather station a short distance away. The anemometer thingy appears to be rather old and is now obviously abandoned, but the (or a) station may have been there some time too.
Cheers for the info, GDZ. :mrgreen:

Last piccies would be the gun range. Sand in front of the backstop being a bit of a clue, and with a bit of digging might yield some interesting artifacts, if the local populace haven't grabbed them all since it was last used.

Last piccies would be the gun range. Sand in front of the backstop being a bit of a clue, and with a bit of digging might yield some interesting artifacts, if the local populace haven't grabbed them all since it was last used.

You know I wondered about that, as it backs on to a wooded area, and it does look a bit like that rifle range so ably photographed by HertsDigger a while back. I will get down and do some digging arond to see what I can find. Thanks very much Seahorse! :)

great post

love the photos,ww2 airfields are my obsession and i always love to see new airfield posts, cheers :)

Thanks WW2nut - I have become a convert to airfields only quite recently; which is a bit of a shame as I grew up within spitting distance of Hawkinge, Bekesbourne and Lydd, but never bothered to find anything out about them when I was there! Damn my ignorant youth!!!

Latest posts

Back